Focus Fanatics Forum banner

241 - 258 of 258 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
I guess I should post a follow up as well for my issue. So, my problem was harness related (at least concerning the issue with the thermostat not working) and solenoid related as well. I probably disturbed the brittle wires too much when I changed out solenoids A/B.

However, since I was also got a CEL for solenoid C and the EPC soleoid I decided to just get a full set of refurb solenoids as well since I didn't want to take it all apart again. Basically I replaced all of the electronics in the transmission.

Short version: Problem solved. Car is shifting smoothly and no CELs. It is reading temperature as it should as well.

Long version: I do believe that solenoid A or B was definitely having issues. The other ones may just have been wiring but it's possible they could have had a problem as well. When I changed out the fluid I could tell it had been changed before a few times. There was also quite a bit of metal shavings on the magnet.

My guess is the metal shavings clogged the valve body and/or solenoids. Also, I think Mercon V is too viscous for this transmission. Mazda uses M5 for this transmission which is less viscous. I don't think Ford puts Mercon V in from the factory. I am pretty sure they use FNR5 which is equilivent to Mazda's M5 (also called M-V, hence the confusion).

I ended up using Supertech LV fluid which says it is compatible with M5. May be a bad call, but my mazda has the same transmission and it shifted like crap with Mercon V but when I flushed it out with M5 it started shifting smoothly again.

The metal shavings are not a good sign and probably indicate a lot of internal wear on the transmission, however it is shifting really smooth right now with no jerking or slippage so I'm just going to see how long it lasts. I had to remove the valve body to replace the wiring harness so I got a chance to clean that out pretty well. If i get a year or two out of it before having to replace the transmission I will be happy. Will probably have to rebuild the SPI engine before then!

·
Registered
16,046 Posts
Mercon V is the correct fluid for an '02, the fluids change up along with clutch pack materials and the exact orifice sizes of VB restrictions.

'I don't think Ford puts Mercon V in from the factory.'

Wrong.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I commented on this issue as few months ago as well. I have a friend at Ford who advised me to go to the U Pull It yard, and pull all of the solenoids from a 2007 or newer. Apparently the new engineering has resolved the issue. The latest iteration of the solenoids have black mounting collars. He says to stay away from the ones with the green mounting collars. I went and pulled them; and also found out that the 2007 trans pan is deeper and holds more fluid. Put a drain plug kit in the deeper pan, put it all together with the solenoids and new fluid. Smooth as silk.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
I commented on this issue as few months ago as well. I have a friend at Ford who advised me to go to the U Pull It yard, and pull all of the solenoids from a 2007 or newer. Apparently the new engineering has resolved the issue. The latest iteration of the solenoids have black mounting collars. He says to stay away from the ones with the green mounting collars. I went and pulled them; and also found out that the 2007 trans pan is deeper and holds more fluid. Put a drain plug kit in the deeper pan, put it all together with the solenoids and new fluid. Smooth as silk.
Interesting info & that is new info for me. Thanks for sharing that info and about your recent experiences.

Here are a few questions & statements that do NOT need an answer from you. This is just me adding some info -while using questions...

The 2007 trans pan is deeper & holds more fluid than the 2006? Which year did the deeper pan show-up on a Focus? Is there a different fluid capacity in the "deeper pan" 4F27E transmission in 2008 verses the 2007, 06, 05, 04?

Are the newer (2007-08) Black mounting collar solenoids compatible with older transmissions that use Green mounting collar solenoids?

EDIT: I was honestly confused by your use of green & black collars. Only after my search tonight do I think I understand what you meant between the green & black. It seems the black verses the green might be the color of the electrical connector receptacle (jack) on the solenoid. I am unsure if there are any P/N differences between the black & green. Does anyone know about a P/N difference of these two colors?

Is there a different (or revised "dash number") part number of SSA in 2002 verses 2008? Do the black and green solenoid have a different part number? << I hope there is >>

In what car-year did the (XS4Z-7H148-AA) SSA become incompatible in a newer Focus?

@JBeechcraft - your post #239 included the part number DXS4Z-7H148-AA. This is a very-tiny typo. The first digit "D" does not belong in the part number. I would have never caught it, but I used your part number <to search with> during this reply and stumbled into this mistake. The added "D" might also be correct. I'm not sure.

Cheers!

·
Registered
16,046 Posts
I'd be checking for solenoid resistance differences, Ford has changed solenoids up before and the two were not interchangeable even though they physically would fit (CD4E). The resistance was different. It was a thing where they would switch one way but not the other IIRC.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Here's what I know for sure.
My Focus is a 2003 with the Vtech. I don't know for sure when Ford changed oil pans. I set the pan off of the 2007 on the floor next to mine; it is definitely deeper. Also; I checked with my friend at Ford today. Says the same thing; stay away from the solenoids with the green mounting collars, try to find the black ones. Newer engineering. I changed the pan and all six solenoids, my tranny is shifting like new.

·
Registered
16,046 Posts
That seems to say they work.......there is no Vtech.............either zetec or duratec.........or SPI in that year.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Yesterday, I spent only a couple minutes into searching for the Green verses Black solenoids (mentioned by poorwhiteboy1 a day or two ago). I should have looked into this more then... So, tonight, I searched again.

poorwhiteboy1 and his "friend at Ford" suggested that there is a better Black solenoid verses the lesser Green solenoid.

Tonight, I was not able to ID a black & green SSA or SSB. There seems to be no Green solenoid to stay-away from; verses the "better" Black solenoid to replace your Green solenoid with.

Here is my summary:

The Green solenoids are SSA and SSB. There is no "newer & better" Black substitute for SSA & SSB.

All of the other solenoids are Black (SSC, SSD, SSE and EPC).

The friend of poorwhiteboy1 is correct to say that the Green ones fail much more often than the Black ones. But there is no "replace a green one WITH a Black one".

If this or these statements are wrong, please provide other info that I missed in my search tonight.

In what car-year did the (XS4Z-7H148-AA) SSA become incompatible in a newer Focus?
Stupid web-search results seems to indicate that this solenoid P/N is last used in the 2010 Focus.

...stay away from the solenoids with the green mounting collars, try to find the black ones...
Are your new SSA and SSB solenoids now the Black type? I was not able to find any Black SSA/SSB tonight on the web.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Cwallyman, did you ever get your 2003 Zx3 moving?
Hello Slam,

If you cross-post or multi-post, this is normally not OK. It is OK by me, but you should also include a link to your primary OP post. Please include a link to your OP thread when you cross or multi post.

Cwallyman and/or other FF's: Please post-back to Slam255 here or preferably at at his OP here

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had identical OP symptoms for a 2001 Street Edition wagon (159K miles). Had no codes, but it was worth a try to replace A & B solenoids. Fluid/filter changes were every 40K with Valvoline Mercon V. The only wrinkle I added was to swap the transmission pan for a new Mazda version with a proper drain plug.

Cold or hot, it has made a big difference in shift quality and the 2-3 shift issue is gone.

Another thanks for this fix that just keeps on giving (years later).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mercon V is the correct fluid for an '02, the fluids change up along with clutch pack materials and the exact orifice sizes of VB restrictions.

'I don't think Ford puts Mercon V in from the factory.'

Wrong.
Ok, good to know. Must be the newer versions of this transmission that use FNR5 fluid.

BTW, I have started having intermittent issues shifting from 1st to 2nd. The transmission seems to get stuck in 1st gear while accelerating then after some time there is a jolt and it goes into 2nd. No slipping though. I don't think it's throwing any codes but will check when I get home.

Definitely not a solenoid problem at this point. Must be mechanical. amc49, do you have any ideas what the problem might be? Wondering if I should get the transmission rebuilt or what. I've got an SPI engine, so maybe it's a better idea to do an engine and transmission swap with a zetec. Hmm....

·
Registered
16,046 Posts
Band issue, the servo to it can break the pin loose to make for wonky shifts into and out of 2 & 4. 1 gear is fine but 2nd is not there due to loose or improperly applying band. Then it finally gets there to hit hard. Can be a cracking band too or solenoid.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just replaces ALL 6 solenoids an when I get to 30mph, it like goes into neutral, until I get below 20mph, then it will kick in. Automatic Tranny.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone, i have a 2001 SE VTECH DOHC. It is dropping out of O/D and sometimes I can get it back by pushing the shifter button...sometimes. Is it the A solenoid or shifter button issues (ie:spring under button)? I also have a vacuum leak that I’ve been maintaining with gorilla tape. I no, get a new hose, it’s tough to find. Comes from rear of engine to near ignition module. It might b 1/2 inch. Any help with finding this would b appreciated. Could this cause the O/D OFF problem? Help!, my commute just went from 45 mins to an hr and a half!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just wanted to say that this post saved me from buying a new car. My mechanic told me it was too hard to fix, and to start looking for a new car. I found this post, my son changed the solenoid and my car is good as new. Bought the solenoid from Rock Auto (who ship to Australia) and used this video on youtube. Can't post link.

Ford Focus Shift Solenoid A Repair P0750 P0753 P0972

241 - 258 of 258 Posts