Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My door pillar trim was in pretty bad shape. It had permanent fingerprint smudges and marks from my VentShades before I took them off. So I decided to paint them. I got a perfect colormatch for Liquid Grey and went to work. I think it looks pretty sweet, adds a little more to the side profile of the car. Tell me what you think!

The flash sort of makes the pillars look lighter than the rest of the car, but it's pretty damn close to being a perfect match in normal lighting.

I used 2 coats of primer, about 4 coats of paint, and 6-8 coats of clear.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Yeah it is a little off, but I like the way it looks.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Looks great! I suspect that it'ds be really hard to tell if it was a shade lighter. Great Job!

·
FF Bouncer
3,178 Posts
Great work! I really like how it turned out. I was thinking about adding those glossy pillar pieces from the euro svtf 5door for my sedan. Could you tell us how you removed/reinstalled or prepped the pillar pieces for paint? I'd really like to know your perspective on it [thumb]

Cheers!

·
Registered
93 Posts
looks great!!! i wonder what is under that piece, and if would be easy enough to fill it with some metal to make it look like it was never there at all. i bet that dude with the shaved white zx3 would know.

i like your car a lot. the wheels and tint look real good.

lucas.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the compliments, everyone.

To pull them off, you need to pull the top of the trim piece toward the rear of the car. So you would basically be pulling the top of the trim straight back. This will disconnect the top portion.

The bottom is a little trickier. There is a "hook" holding it to a stub. You have to pull the whole trim piece up until the hook is off the stub, then slide the bottom off the same way you did the top. When you pull the trim piece up, it will take the whole rubber below the window with it. This is normal, just don't pull it too high.

It's easy once you realize what to do.

Summed up, pull the top straight back to take it off, then lift up on the bottom while pulling back until it comes loose.

Edit: Oh, and for prepping, I just sanded them both down with 400 grit sandpaper, cleaned them off, primed, painted, and cleared. [:)]

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
looks really good. i'm sure that some daytime pics would show that it matches quite nicely. nice work.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lucas g said:
looks great!!! i wonder what is under that piece, and if would be easy enough to fill it with some metal to make it look like it was never there at all. i bet that dude with the shaved white zx3 would know.

i like your car a lot. the wheels and tint look real good.

lucas.
Thanks! Underneath the piece, the door is painted to match the car, even with clearcoat. However, there's a big hole on the bottom of it and a smaller one at the top.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
thats great I have the paint shop painting mine at the same time as the hood, fenders and mirrors love them when they match like that

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
IMO, it will fade a lil. remember, your body is slightly faded (believe it or not, it happened, it has faded, but onloy b/c we cant help it) mine is the same way with my rear bumper. the rear is slightly brighter and lighter than the rest of my car, it was repainted with the paint code and everything. give it a lil time, and you wont even notice.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, it only looks different in certain light, like under a flourescent. Now that it's in the full sunlight, it's almost a perfect match. It'll be even better once it fades a bit.

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
Looks good!

·
Registered
387 Posts
what kind of paint did you use?

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
I like when people take the time to work on the more subtle parts of their vehicle. Good job! [thumb]

·
Registered
387 Posts
where did you get the paint at?

·
Registered
531 Posts
This looks pretty nice. I might as well do this.... TWICE in the past two days my door pillar trim has fallen off when I close the door!

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
Damn, that does look better. Nice work.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts