Votes: 58 98.3%
  • no, do again

Votes: 1 1.7%
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well damn...... I guess it's not that bad.... (they weren't on completely either, I'm still letting them dry elsewhere, but I wanted to pop them on to see if it looked ok [?|]

Hmm, and this is my current rain protection...... I can't drive with it though :p

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im presuming your talking about the mirror caps... If so they look alright.
yeah sorry......I guess I didn't make that clear. glad to know you think it looks ok, thanks [thumb]

·
Registered
453 Posts
you dont have to cover those up, when i painted the side view mirrors glossy black, the only thing i masked off was the mirror itself. also wht do you think happens when it rains or wash the car?

·
Freeskiing Fanatic!
5,455 Posts
they look good dude, keep it

·
Banned
1,671 Posts
They look good man. Is Harvest Gold the same color as Arizona Beige? My sister's car Arizona Beige and I want to do her caps for her.....where'd you get he paint? The discount auto by me has a big can of Duplicolor "Arizona Beige", if that's what you used i'll be using it when I paint her caps, it turned out nice [thumb]

And how'd you get the mirror caps off?

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow! well, maybe I'm just not used to the new color yet, lol.... I guess I won't be repainting... uh, I don't know why I covered it up, it looked to me like the section behind the cap was enclosed.... well anyway, thanks guys! [thumb]

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
keep them mike they look good
well it's gotta be ok then, coming from you, who professionally deals with paint... right? [hihi]

ok anyway, to answer 02SilverST's question, the color I used was a "Duplicolor Import Auto Spray, Desert Sand Mica color" you're definitely gonna want to get the can of filling primer (that's what I got, at least) and the can of clear coat, or else it'll come out pretty rough... and definitely don't count out this how to from Algorhythm http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119311&highlight=painting+mirror+caps

I'm just adding my personal experience to it. I used 1000 grit wet sandpaper (I really don't think that did a thing) and did 3 coats of primer, 4 coats of Desert Sand Mica (maybe a bit thicker than I should have, but it was ok) and then like 3 hours after I finished the first two paints (I had to sit through a 3 hour dinner, bleh...), I applied the clear coat, and like it said, gradually increased the thickness of the coat... I applied 4 coats of CC though, and the last two coats I applied so thick I thought they would run, but amazingly they didn't lol.... then of course I kept going to check on it because I knew there would be little stupid particles that would gather on it...

anyway, I'll make a quick little guide on how the remove the caps, because I broke a tab on the driver side mirror (luckily not an important one) and like an hour trying to get the caps off [?|]

watch for it.. I'll go take a photo and show where the points are...

·
Registered
202 Posts
I didn't even notice what you painted until I scrolled down. Nice job, I'd vote for keep em! [headbang]

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with them[dunno] They look great to me.

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
They look great. I didn't think they matched all that well when I did mine either, but I guess it's something to do with our color.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They look great. I didn't think they matched all that well when I did mine either, but I guess it's something to do with our color.
yeah I guess so... have you waxed yours, is it safe to do? I bet some nice clay bar action would make the car match those caps, lol...

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks.....I finally pushed them on now, so they ought to be ok...... I'm just worried, because right after I put them on, it started raining really hard, and I'd only finished painting them 22 hours before.... I don't want to have permanent water spots :p

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
22 hours? You'll be plenty fine. It doesn't take that long at all for everything to dry great. They say 24 hours, but 2 hours difference won't matter.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts