Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard of getting colored wax to help with hiding light scratches and chipping, but i've never seen it anywhere! I want some red to go on my Infra-Red ZX3, anyone know where to get it? Thanks

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
ya know what...i've actually heard of colored wax too

i have no clue where to get it though

i know they have it....but when I went up to autozone and asked they looked at me funny

·
Registered
145 Posts
I believe its by turtle wax, Murrays discount auto sells the stuff, Ive seen it at advance auto as well. Ive used it on an older car(few years back) and it works pretty good

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
doesnt work, we had it when i detailed at a Ford Dealership and i didnt work. If you think about it a colored wax is not going to permanently color metal. However it will stain you hands and rags

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
I have used the Turtle wax colored wax. Its not to bad. My Miata is 10 years old (101K miles) and has a fair amount of road rash (stone chips on the front nose). The nice thing about the colored wax is that any powered residue left is the same color that you select. the Miata is dark green and when the light colored waxes are used it looks like it has a bad case of the measles unless i send hours of hand buffing to remove the white powder. You've probably all experienced the pain in the butt it is to remove the residues most waxes/polishes leave especially in paint chips. With the colored waxes that's one less worry. Downside...they stain the heck out of buffer bonnets and towels. Overall, a good wax for an old beater when trying to hide old scares, but there's better for those looking for the concours finish.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
my buddy when he has his zx3, he had colored wax called "back to black"

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I know turtle wax used to make some, but I haven't seen any in a long time. It's worked ok. Have you tried using some ScratchX?

·
Banned
2,334 Posts
i tried it on a red grand am and i will say that i thought it worked fine. its not a permanat fix but it hides the scratches . and yes your rags and hands will turn colers. turtle wax sells it at auto zone, advanced auto and maybe wall-mart.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Thats actually supposed to be a dye used to color fading plastic trim. It's worthless, though, it'll run off after a good rain.
I've had good luck especially on sun faded black plastic trim as well as when you get wax or polish on black trim pieces. I doubt its a die because mine comes out of the bottle looking like a clear liquid silicon. You do have to use it regulary (eg every car wash).

·
Focus Enthusiast
3,002 Posts
As far as "coloredwax" goes, there are a few products out there that are color matched, such as a red wax for any shade of red, blue for blue, ect, ect. These waxes don't hold up well and are known for streaking and blotchy shine. They are more like make up for your car.......if you find some and it works for you, then by all means, continue using it, however, nothing compares to a good job done with a quality wax. When I was professionally detailing, I don't think I saw those kinds of products in any shop.

·
Registered
53 Posts
you will have better luck if you polish the car then use a normal wax..... the colored stuff is a temp fix....polishing it fixes the problem....which is micro scratches

1 - 13 of 13 Posts