Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's some pics of the side moldings I did. No painting required. Anyone guess how?

(Can't seem to insert picture...)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Covered 'em in vinyl. Was lucky enough to find a good match to the paint. If you're experienced with vinyl graphics application, it's not too difficult at all.

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
Cool. Looks pretty good.

·
Capt. Urn
5,491 Posts
looks pretty good. there does seem to be a slightly differnt reflection on the vinal, but for 30 bucks, i guess you can't complain.

cool idea

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
Does the vinyl stick to the rough side molding pretty good or did you have to apply some adhesive to make the vinyl stick to the side molding?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do this at your own risk. Not sure how durable it'll be. Time will tell, but they look really good. I was lucky to find a good color match. Gotta make sure they're really clean before covering 'em. No wax or Armour All type stuff, or it isn't going to stick. If they're clean and you use a heat gun to warm it up after it's on (don't melt it, just warm it), it should stick good enough. If you're not really good with applying vinyl, you could have a harder time than you think. An option is to take your Focus to a vinyl graphics shop and get them to do it for you. They'll be able to help with a good color match too.

The nice thing is if you get a ding in it, you can just peel it off and re-do it. Guess it's just a poor-mans alternative to preping/painting them. Some paint shops won't even touch them.

Have fun!

·
Registered
25 Posts
That's just awesome. Reply if you run into any future failures, but still... that's just awesome.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yah, I saw your web article on how you had a buddy who worked at a paint shop or something? Looks good. Unfortunately I don't know anyone who has access to all those supplies and facilities. If I had to pay for it all, probably cost a bit. That's what makes doing a vinyl application nice, cost is next to nothing, if you know how.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts