·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK let's get some real input:

North Carolina I95 relatively flat road ... 150 miles or so

Revs 2800
Spd 75
mpg 35.8 [[[[[[[[Please note this figure was a mistake on my part ... see post on page 2.]]]]
Gas cheapest available

I run this same route a couple of times a year.
the last couple of trips in 2005 freestyle the milage was just under 26.

But for some reason I feel safer running the 2012 a bit faster than the freestyle -- it just seems to drive better and as far as I can tell it is quieter

remember on this stretch of road there is a lot of 70 speed limit and a bunch of lower speed limits that no one pays attention to ... so just keeping up is pretty much min 70.

Today bunch of us were passed by a state trooper, he probably was doing 75 in a 55 ... we were doing 70. NO ONE SLOWED DOWN as he passed us.... duh...

·
Registered
73 Posts
if any of you guys has an iPhone, get the app called Gas Cubby....itll let you input your odometer reading, price/gallon, gallons pumped, price paid, gas type, gas brand, gas location all from your phone. and itll even make a nice and pretty graph for you. checkit:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Does that app handle liters for our friends in Canada?
yup in the settings it'll let you change the units from MPG (US) to MPG(UK) to MPG (Canada) to MPG (imperial), L/100km, gal/100mi, gal/100mi (Imperial), km/L, km/gal, yadda yadda yadda seriously there are so many diff units you can use.

·
Registered
781 Posts
you should just join fuelly.com, there are several FF members already on the site who you can "friend" as well. the site lets you compare your MPG vs. your friends, or other vehicles including your own make & model or others. it's also a great site for tracking your own MPG. on, and it's free-of-charge. also has a web-based "app" so you can use it on your iOS device, Android, etc.

·
Registered
968 Posts

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Currently it reports an average of 31.4 MPG for the 2012 Focus, which is actually a little lower than previous years.
I assumed it was because of the break-in period. You get a new car, start logging miles, see it's only 25mpg, get mad/bored and stop logging miles. Granted it also has to do with how you drive, what type of streets you drive, etc.

There's one Focus on Fuelly (S-model) averaging 43.3 mpg with 18 fillups! I, sadly, am only at 38... which is still above my EPA estimated 27/37 31 combined.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Just got back from a 1300 mile RT vacation to Orlando. Only counting the hwy miles mostly I95, I averaged approx. 33.8 MPG. This was with CC set to between 70-75 depending on speed limit. This would initially seem disappointing for a car said to attain 37MPG on the hwy, and some reporting even higher. Normally the higher numbers I read, I tend to throw out because people lie and fudge the numbers to make themselves look better and to make themselves feel better. I think my lower mpg is due to a family of four and the hatch filled to the brim with luggage. The only way to achieve the better numbers are to drive alone and/or not weigh too much. The computer said I was only getting around 30mpg, so that was way off. It only seems accurate if I drive really poorly...go figure.

·
Registered
20 Posts
...33.8 MPG. This was with CC set to between 70-75 depending on speed limit. This would initially seem disappointing for a car said to attain 37MPG on the hwy...
Don't forget...

Highway fuel consumption tests typically don't go over 60mph. If you go 70-75mph on the freeway, you could be getting 5-10mpg worse fuel economy. The engine has to work that much harder to keep the speed up around 70+mph than it does to maintain 60mph.

I notice that I get worse fuel economy when I go to the US because Interstate speeds are 70mph (which means everyone does 75mph+), where as in Canada our max highway speeds are usually 100km/h (60mph).

;D

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
The best fuel economy i can get is in the 35mph fifth gear with manual tranny.
Now highways with that sort of speed, the best long stretch roads are 45mph to 50 mph roads. I can be right at 40mpg if i stay below 50mph.
I have just 1,000 miles on the car.
I want to start checking late at night 55mph, 60 mph steady around a couple mile Freeway loop. And compare it to the 50mph. But first I want to buy an instant mpg device..
Late at night that freeway is nearly deserted.
Combined city is around mid 30's. The killer for mpg is traffic, and stopping a lot. When lights take a few turns to get through, terrible mpg starts in.
When I never have to slow for other traffic, the mpg's go way up. (best way is to actually be going slower than everybody else.. But have to not be in a hurry, and not care that EVERYONE ELSE IS in a hurry and annoyed at one for going slower than traffic. [shameful] [screwy]

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
JNormally the higher numbers I read, I tend to throw out because people lie and fudge the numbers to make themselves look better and to make themselves feel better. I think my lower mpg is due to a family of four and the hatch filled to the brim with luggage.
I agree - but mostly with the second half. I'm getting like 46-38 mpg highway when I drive 55-65, respectively. But, I'm 22 and single - so I always drive alone, and my trunk is empty except for a full-size spare (maybe I should take that out? nah...)

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Whoops, repost.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just got back from a 1300 mile RT vacation to Orlando. Only counting the hwy miles mostly I95, I averaged approx. 33.8 MPG. This was with CC set to between 70-75 depending on speed limit. This would initially seem disappointing for a car said to attain 37MPG on the hwy, and some reporting even higher.
SO OK!!! This was the original intent of this thread to see just what some top end travelling will do mpg wise. Today I did 700 miles from "South of the NC border" to Naples FL. That is I95, I4 through Orlando, and I75. Most of that is speed limit of 70 and most of the rest the traffic sort of ignores posted speed limits, even as they blast through obvious speed traps like we had in FL. Where the troopers would have had to stop 95% of the cars, but didn't even blink at us 77ers in a posted 70

I did four 50-mile-long 77 mph test legs [most of us have to do 77 to keep out of everyone's way]. one in NC, one in GA and two in FL.

So just going with the traffic at 77mph for 50 miles we got a range of 33.2 to 34.7 mpg
this is
1. hatch SEL that is stickered at 37 highway
2. red candy
3. Revs almost constantly at 2800
4. CC at 76, but Garmin showing 77
5. light traffic, with no real slowdowns plenty of open road following others at the same speed.
6. 300lbs of passengers and probably 400 lbs of "stuff"

We did better mpg going the 800 miles from NY through the NC/SC border where we ran 35.8 mpg, but were constrained on the NY, NJ turnpike and MD roads to 60s ... solid moving traffic, but not up to the action in the south.

I think the hatch 37 is attainable at 60 CC with light traffic.

AM I UNHAPPY with a car that shows 400 miles to E when i fill it up...

And a car with a surprisingly strong top end that can blast around a numb nuts tractor trailor hanging in the left lane. [a touch over 89, but just for a couple of seconds. only realized it from the garmin trip log.]

as they say: hell no.

And we now have two solid and close reports on what high end driving MPG is on the 2012 hatch.

[[[just a side note ... we got on I95 at 4 am ... and just followed the tail lights of another 77er for nearly 100 miles]]]

{{and also learned that a 1g memory stick doesn't have enough space on it for enough music.}}

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Some of all this is gearing.
I wish they had a better setup of gears, with four normal gears, and at least three top overdrive gears, to adjust slightly the RPM so one can make a real dent in 65mph plus driving. As it is first gear is really for hills, and second is just a bit too high for a start except downhill.. or even already moving 2 mph.. works great for second gear.
Seems it is the RPM that really makes the difference. Keeping the RPM really low gives spectacular mpgs.. but then driving at higher speeds and the RPM just kill the mpg.
It might not always work at low RPM with a bigger gas pedal. but currently cruising is barely pushing the gas, so a higher gearing could certainly work. The engine working a little harder at lower RPM would be more efficient (at least to a point) and one would have to shift on hills..

I drive a manual. trans. So a standard (same as have now, bottom four gears.. then a few extra top gears to really stretch that low RPM cruising ability.
Seven speeds would do....

·
Registered
530 Posts
Not the same, but in my 07 for every 2 mph over 70 I run on the interstate I can cut .5 mpg average off the top end for that tank. Still not slowing down...

BTW, fuelly tag LOWFLYN . Been keeping up on there for about a year now, definitely nice to look back through except your total costs numbers...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'd be pretty disappointed if I ended up only in the low thirties. I manage that in my 2006 Focus ST with the 2.3 liter engine.
You need to tell us how you determine the mpg on the 2006 at a sustained speed of 77.
we are only able to do it on the 2012 because of the onboard mpg computer program which we can zero out and restart while at the target highway speed.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
You need to tell us how you determine the mpg on the 2006 at a sustained speed of 77.
we are only able to do it on the 2012 because of the onboard mpg computer program which we can zero out and restart while at the target highway speed.
Maybe he has a scanner?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts