Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Collapsed PCV Hose Behind Intake Manifold

2004 ZX3 2.3L Manual Transmission 110,000 miles

Started getting OBD Code 171, one bank too lean & started hearing a hissing sound while the engine is running, too.

Found a collapsed & cracked PCV (I think) hose behind the intake manifold above the starter. Not sure where the other
end of the hose connects to the engine.

Will the intake manifold need to be removed to replace the hose?

Advice will be greatly appreciated on replacing this hose.

Thanks!

2.3L

Hose crack can be seen above the starter and to the left of the screwdriver

Bill

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
That's how it is typically done. I have heard of one FF who was able to use a pair of 90 degree tip needle nose pliers to get his PCV hose off and on again without removing the intake manifold.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
If it's any consolation, the valve cover gasket is $20. Replacing the thermostat would require intake manifold removal as well. If you end up having to remove it, then you might want to consider replacing that thermostat as well. You've just gone over the "coolant system flush" marker, so flushing coolant and replacing it wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it's any consolation, the valve cover gasket is $20. Replacing the thermostat would require intake manifold removal as well. If you end up having to remove it, then you might want to consider replacing that thermostat as well. You've just gone over the "coolant system flush" marker, so flushing coolant and replacing it wouldn't hurt.
Will replace the thermostat, if I have to take the intake manifold off.

Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts