Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep looking to see if people revive some old threads about whining noises when their car is cold, no-body has and searching didn't bring anything good up. I'm not overly concerned with any of this, just starting a discussion...

Its been -28 to -32 °F here by me.

My HVAC blower motor seems to be squealing pretty good when I turn left and on and off when going straight. Has anyone replaced that thing yet? I'm sure it will get better when the temps rebound, but last time it got this cold (3 years ago) it didn't make noise.

Also, when I turn the climate system off and the HVAC blower motor noise goes away I hear a higher pitched whine that is somewhat connected to engine speed. Sounds like front passenger dashboard noise. Its not coming from the engine, you can't really hear it from outside the car. Sometime it happens when sitting in the parking lot sometimes it happens when accelerating right after the car gets up to temperature. There is some talk about the active grill shutter motors maybe being servos and causing this noise, but I'm just curious what other peoples experiences with this are.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
If the blower motor was running on bearings you wouldn't hear those noises, but being on bushings or on the housing itself, the cooler low temps same as dash rattles when cold, no issues when warm. The dash on my car rattles when really cold.....I just deal it.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I live in Montreal so I have to deal with cold weather every winter (avg in January is about -10F to 0F).

My car has weird noise when it's in the low -10F for the first few seconds and after it goes away. This is the front shudder grill retracting in the OFF position and the motor is whining.

Inside the car, no unsual noise. The engine has a kind-of-compressor noise related to it for a few minutes but nothing else.

The best is to start your car, wait 2 minutes for the oil to flow and move - don't wait. Your car will get "warm" fast (not hot but warm) so all your little noise and problem will go away. Don't race your car when super cold, go easy, like very easy.

The other problem of very cold temperature is your tires become square and the driving experience might not be great within the first few miles.

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
LOL...............yes, you get so cold you don't realize it's not the other guy doing it.

I used to ride motorcycle all year long for years on end, it's amazing what a wimp I've turned into.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts