Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So those of you that were in the mega negatives this morning, how did your car start for you? Mine fired right up. It cranked ever so slightly slower, but that is to be expected at -10° F. My wife's CRV on the other hand...that thing cranked like there was a turtle running the engine.

My mileage is a little over 45,000 with original everything.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I forgot...I park with my transmission in reverse and always put it in neutral before I start the car. It was a little tough to get it out of reverse this morning.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Saw -6 F when I went to start the car this morning. The first bit of the cranking was slow then it fired up in about the same amount of time as normal.

What I did notice was the tob was making some noise when the clutch was out. I have noticed this before on very cold mornings. At one point 2nd did grind slightly while engaging, but otherwise the transmission was normal.

I have a tick of 40k miles on the car now.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Jeepers it hit 79f today and it started fine. Sorry I am rubbing it in :)

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
It was -26°C (-15°F) this morning when I left the house and everything was perfect.
^^ Yup, cold as fsck but car started well!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think I had about -15f this morning. Cranked a bit slower but fired right up. I know when it's this cold I need to let it warm up for 5 to 10 minutes or else I won't be able to shift into second. The only odd thing I've noticed is it will idle up to 1500 rpm and just stay there even after 5 minutes until I blip the throttle and then it will idle down to about 1000 rpm. Reminds me of an old carbuerated engine.

·
Registered
79 Posts
-7F here this morning, started with no problem, did hear the bumps more for a while. Shifting from 1st to 2nd was a little stiff for a few minutes. Very pleased with the SE overall in this weather. I am surprised how well it handles on snow packed roads.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The only odd thing I've noticed is it will idle up to 1500 rpm and just stay there even after 5 minutes until I blip the throttle and then it will idle down to about 1000 rpm. Reminds me of an old carbuerated engine.
I've noticed that too. I had my car warming up for 15-20 minutes one morning (got slowed down by a 9 year old getting ready to leave) and it was still at 1500 rpms when I got out there with smoke pouring out the exhaust. Blipped the throttle and it immediately dropped.

·
Registered
81 Posts
We've had a couple of cold days here too. Good cold starts, but I too noticed some pretty severe noise coming from the throw out bearing.

It goes away after about a minute, but I can't help to think that that's not a good thing in the long run.

(PS. Record cold start for this car this far: -27C/-16F).

·
Registered
81 Posts
Block heater boys! Last week my car hung at 1500 as well. I put it in reverse and and settled down.
I agree with the idea of a block heater for cold weather, but it won't do anything to help with throw out bearing noise.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yesterday it was -11 F and my car cranked noticeably slow. No trouble starting though. I have 5w-30 oil in it right now and I will make sure it has 5w-20 in it next Winter for sure.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Haven't had to start my my ST in cold weather yet, although I assume it'll be a non issue since it's a little 4 banger and not a diesel. My old Cummins on the other hand... At my -45C she was not a happy camper.

I agree with the idea of a block heater for cold weather, but it won't do anything to help with throw out bearing noise.
You'd be surprised what a little radiant will do for ya.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
At least your drum was not stuck today haha
haha got replaced in November ...

2 days short of warranty... grrr!!

Did you get your rear defrost fixed?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I've noticed that too. I had my car warming up for 15-20 minutes one morning (got slowed down by a 9 year old getting ready to leave) and it was still at 1500 rpms when I got out there with smoke pouring out the exhaust. Blipped the throttle and it immediately dropped.
Maybe stuck on the fast idle cam? Oh wait...

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's been hovering about 0-10f and the car starts fine. The only catch is that 2nd gear is temperamental until warmed up.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts