Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im want to see if anyone has a hard time getting their car started when its very cold outside. The pass 2 days have had a hard time getting mine started. Any tips would be great.

Info on the cars sleeping spot:
The car sits outside cause i dont have a garage cause of the military. I do have a car cover but that only helps so much.

·
Dumbledore dies?!?!
3,123 Posts
Block heater may help. Not to sure how to go about installing one.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Block heater may help. Not to sure how to go about installing one.
we really dont have the hook ups for that in TX and OK

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
its mostly just that your battery is cold

not really a problem

just dont boost until your oil pressure comes down, and youll be fine

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its mostly just that your battery is cold

not really a problem

just dont boost until your oil pressure comes down, and youll be fine
battery is in the back.
How do i get it warm to get it to crank over?

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
you could use a nitrous bottle heater but you might end up causing the battery to explode.

seriously theres really no problem, its just starting at a lower RPM because the starter is getting a lower voltage because the battery is cold.

·
Fins Up!
4,843 Posts
i really dont think it is because the battery is cold. the batter being cold will cause the car to turn over slower. if your car is turning over fine and still isnt starting then it is something in the tune. mine has a hard time starting when it is cold, and i have a 700cca battery on mine.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
Ah ok well then I may have misunderstood the post. define "starting hard"? It could mean just a slow crank, or it could be spitting/sputtering, or maybe it clunks over a few times before really firing up. The latter two could be an issue with the injector breakpoint in the tune.

you can do an experiment. Take your battery inside for a few hours. then run it outside, hook it up, and start your car.

Oil viscosity does have an influence since it is colder out, but the battery voltage/amperage is much more important.

·
Fins Up!
4,843 Posts
im taking it that it turns over like normal just doesnt want to start. takes a bit of cranking before it will start.

when it is cold a richer mixture is required to start and run an engine when it is cold.

when doing a tune with larger injectors and such you can only tune start up for the temp it is there. you have to guess on the colder temps. some times that guess can be off.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
right so the question is what kind of hard starting is slimshady experiencing?

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it was turning over and not starting.....

come to find out that my tuner guy didnt bother to tell me that he turned off the cold start stuff.

Thanks for the help, and ill make him pay for this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts