Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am not smart when it comes to electronics. I have an aiwa CD player installed in my car. I have had it for a while and it hasnt done this until recently. When it is cold outside and I try to play a CD in it, it skips really bad. It goes away when the car warms up or I guess when the unit warms up. Is this normal or do I need to have it looked at somewhere?
I know this sounds like a dumb question but I dont know anyone else with this problem and I have never had this problem in the past.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Sounds like condensation on the lens. If the stereo is cold from sitting outside overnight for example, when you get in the car and start it up and begin to warm it up inside there may be some condensation forming on the lens that the laser uses to "read" the CD. Sounds like that's what is happening since it goes away after awhile - the condensation evaporates once the interior warms up enough. In the meantime it skips like crazy - I have an old Alpine CD player that does this.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yeah, sometimes when my unit is cold it acts up too. All you have to do is get your lady to blow on it for a sec, that usually creates a little more condensation, for a sec anyway. But after a few sec's it heats up and is ready for anything you can throw at it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts