Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay.. so. My 2002 SVTf does not like to start up in the morning, its kind of annoying. When I crank it over, sorta sputters for a few seconds THEN it starts. But once its running its misfirering and running shitty, untill its warm. Once its warm it runs great. Maybe a pugged up cat?

·
Registered
930 Posts
Maybe just plugs or plug wires...Are they original? Wires are only good for 5 or 6 years or so.
A plugged cat would give shitty performance hot or cold.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My 03 does the same thing no sputtered in the beginning but runs terribly until warm some answers would be great my plugs and wires have also been changed but I guess i should take a look since it was the last owner that changed them and he didn't seem to smart..

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've got the same issue as well, only on cold starts and its turns over for a while, then fires and stumbles for a bit. I've got fairly new plugs and wires also, I replaced them this summer. I have no idea what the issue is either. Hopefully someone can help us out!

·
Registered
645 Posts
I think it is the cold snap we've been having... mine does it also. I've noticed (last year) that when I plug in the block heater (at least 2 hrs), it starts a lot better no matter how cold it is.

·
Registered
71 Posts
have you guys thought of changing the fuel filter... i had almost no mid to high end power with a rough idle.. and then replaced the fuel filter. i couldn't even blow threw that thing... my 02 svtf has 120,xxx on it and that sucker was clogged... let me know if you need the alldata sheet on it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Same issue here and only 19k on my 02 focus. I'm logging data and the fuel ratio is up to 16.5:1-17:1 when this is happening. I'm wondering if these are a symptom or a cause. Changed both O2 sensors and still there. Fuel is my new prime suspect along with vacuum related issue.

Keep me posted if you come up with anything and I'll do the same.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I figured it out!.. The intake runner on my foci sticks open on occasion. When I start my car up and the intake runner is open, it sputters and idles really poorly. Usually shutting the car off and restarting fixes the issue :).

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
Intake runners open / closed / stuck part way would cause cold start issues

This is all tuning related or a bad sensor either way a tune / flasher will cure these issues and make your SVT idle , drive , cruise , perform , MPG better

Tom

·
Registered
26 Posts
^^^^ what Tom said, my 02 svtf always ran rough and misfired when cold at first startup, I got toms tune now and it a whole different car. No more rough idle when cold also.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Well, it is in fact already running Tom's tune...lol
This has only happened after being parked for 2 years. Prior to that it ran mint.
Tom....maybe we can data log and maybe you can see something going on?

·
Registered
930 Posts
What parameters should I log? All fuel? All ignition?
I kinda forget how to save and upload the log file Tom! Any help would be appreciated .

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
If you have a laptop and internet to your car I can take over your laptop , set everything up and do a datalog just like I was sitting in the car with you

Tom

1 - 20 of 23 Posts