Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Just wondering if you guys have noticed a huge difference in sound when you start your focus in cold weather. ie around freezing. I'm noticing what sounds like a small exhaust leak that disappears after about a minute or two. The car has a whopping 1600km on it.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hey all. Just wondering if you guys have noticed a huge difference in sound when you start your focus in cold weather. ie around freezing. I'm noticing what sounds like a small exhaust leak that disappears after about a minute or two. The car has a whopping 1600km on it.

Any ideas?
I experienced extremely cold weather last winter and from what I noticed, the car just runs roughly until the engine gets to warm. I'm completely hypothesizing, but I believe Ford has it programmed to run extremely lean A/F ratio on idle. If you step outside the car you'll notice a lot of exhaust flow out the tailpipe and RPM may dance up and down a little until a couple minutes later when it completely settles down.

When it was -10 degrees F out, my car would lose temperature on the engine temp sensor if I feathered the throttle vs. idle.

·
Registered
220 Posts

Any ideas?
I experienced extremely cold weather last winter and from what I noticed, the car just runs roughly until the engine gets to warm. I'm completely hypothesizing, but I believe Ford has it programmed to run extremely lean A/F ratio on idle. If you step outside the car you'll notice a lot of exhaust flow out the tailpipe and RPM may dance up and down a little until a couple minutes later when it completely settles down.

When it was -10 degrees F out, my car would lose temperature on the engine temp sensor if I feathered the throttle vs. idle.
I noticed this too after doing a cold start on the car. It was 45F this morning, and the car was idling at about 1200 RPM after starting with that same noise. If I bump the throttle right away, it'll drop back down to 800 RPM and then the noise will disappear. [???:)]

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car actually runs okay. I'm just talking about how there seems to be an exhaust leak near the engine, like where the fist joint in the exhaust would be. The thing doesn't idle really high, but that seems to be normal (or at least how the ECU is programmed to run in open loop).

Anyway, I thought I'd ask here, but I may actually go to the dealer and ask them to start one up cold in the lot to see if it'll do the same… I'm just trying to avoid having to leave my car there, just to be told "It's normal".

·
Registered
220 Posts
The car actually runs okay. I'm just talking about how there seems to be an exhaust leak near the engine, like where the fist joint in the exhaust would be. The thing doesn't idle really high, but that seems to be normal (or at least how the ECU is programmed to run in open loop).

Anyway, I thought I'd ask here, but I may actually go to the dealer and ask them to start one up cold in the lot to see if it'll do the same… I'm just trying to avoid having to leave my car there, just to be told "It's normal".
Mine runs fine as well. After the car warms up or if you give it more throttle, does the noise disappear entirely? I would think that if it was a leak, the noise would stay continuously and be more noticeable as the RPMs increase...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I checked myself, and had the dealer inspect the exhaust, and neither of us found a leak. I guess the car just sounds like a beater when it's cold.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Mine with just over 3000 miles is louder at start, thought the same thing but I dont think it is a leak, just louder until warms up a bit.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Well, I checked myself, and had the dealer inspect the exhaust, and neither of us found a leak. I guess the car just sounds like a beater when it's cold.
Glad you didn't find one. The noise does disappear pretty quick. I've noticed these cars get to normal operating temp pretty quick, even in 45 degree weather. Glad I don't have to deal with subzero temps anymore. [twothumbs]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts