Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when i first start the car in the morning and get to driving. When i come to a stop at low speeds, i sometimes get an "abrupt" down shift. Nothing too violent or anything. Its just a more apparent shift until the car warms up. Not saying this is an issue as much as just wondering if its a common characteristic of the transmission. Kind of lookin for a response from people who have driven manuals as i have not. Seems like it could just be a cold operation thing just as the trailor hitching feeling is.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
So when i first start the car in the morning and get to driving. When i come to a stop at low speeds, i sometimes get an "abrupt" down shift. Nothing too violent or anything. Its just a more apparent shift until the car warms up. Not saying this is an issue as much as just wondering if its a common characteristic of the transmission. Kind of lookin for a response from people who have driven manuals as i have not. Seems like it could just be a cold operation thing just as the trailor hitching feeling is.

I know my car this morning has been reving at 1500 rpm during high idle for 5 minutes (very cold morning -40F feels like) Shifting is a bit akward during high idle.

Also MTX75 is harder to shift when very cold...

·
Registered
739 Posts
Any manual transmission will be more difficult to shift in the cold as the transmission fluid is much thicker. The automatic transmission in your 2012 is essentially an automated manual so I can understand if it might act similar to a traditional manual transmission, however it's more due to the clutch being cold than the transmission fluid.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah sorry, I should of been more clear. It is the power shift auto. I just requested manual drivers since the auto is supposed to operate similarly. I figured it was a cold operation thing but just wanted to be sure since Im on my 3rd clutch lol. So far its been great though. Few thousand miles and its shifting with no issues.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Yeah sorry, I should of been more clear. It is the power shift auto. I just requested manual drivers since the auto is supposed to operate similarly. I figured it was a cold operation thing but just wanted to be sure since Im on my 3rd clutch lol. So far its been great though. Few thousand miles and its shifting with no issues.
If you start to feel like this is more of a concern and decide to get it checked out by your dealer, please let me know so I can look into options. :)

Meagan

·
Registered
289 Posts
One of the many advantages modern DI engines have is that the car can adjust the engine speed and other various components (active grill shutters play a big role) to enable the car to warm up faster. Cold weather is especially harsh on an engine for a number of reasons, so the result of the car working harder to reach normal operating temperatures is a positive net gain in fuel efficiency and engine longevity. And you as the passenger warm up faster.

While a violent downshift isn't necessarily great, the car is trying to stay in the lower gears to keep the revs higher to warm up.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea...its nothing violent as much as apparent compared to normal temp shifting. Just gauging to see if its something other people noticed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts