Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have a couple questions about the Cold Cathodes I just bought (sorry about the double topics).

1. Were did you mount your tubes?
I have a manual 2000 SE and I'm mounting one on the drivers and passengers side. Pics would be helpful.

2. Were did you mount your switches, and what did you use to cut the hole?
I was think about just mounting it on the fuse cover or right next to the mid AC vents on the dash were that extra plastic is. Once again pics would be helpful

3. What did you use to secure the tubes?
I was think of just using double sided tape.

Thanks for all the help and again sorry about the double topics but this might get more attn than the other one.

·
暗炎
1,925 Posts
1: I tucked mine under the dash and under the seats.

2: I mounted my switches on the center console in front of the shift knob.

3: I used zip ties

I don't have pics right now, but I can dig some up when I get home

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, ya it will be a couple days before I get the cathodes so just post the pics if you have some spare time. Thanks

BTW did you just use a Dremel to cut the holes or a 3/4" drill bit? Or did you use something else? I was thinking about just drilling the hole with a 3/4" drill bit. I bought the rocker switch off Oznium which is why I ask. Thanks [thankyou]

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
Looks like we are both doing the same things here Noob!
My plan is to do both the front and back. I am half way done with the project... I am just waiting for a few more switches and two more cathodes.

Right now here is what I've done so far with one switch and two cathodes:
1: On a metal bar underneath the front seats toward the back to shine down on the floor of the back seat in my ZX3
2: I used an Add-A-Circuit for power and then for the ground I used the screw on my fuse box. Then I pulled my ash tray out and strung some wires from there down to an area near the pedals by the fuse box. So my switch is in the ash tray right now. I am getting a metal switch panel that holds 4 switches in there nicely soon.
3: Double sided tape from the back of the lights to the metal under the seats.

Hope that helps, and when I finish the project I'll post up some pics for everyone to see. It will still be a few days maybe even a week or two...

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Spyder, ya I plan on doing the backseats too but I blew most of my check on my new amp so I couldn't afford the back haha. As for power, I bouht the fuse holder that way my fusebox didn't get too overcrowded. I thought about the ashtray wasn't too sure though because I'm using the rocker switches not a push down one like in the how-to. + I'd like them to be seen just to add some more eye candy to my interior haha ;) Thanks for the advice and please post up some pics when your done.

BTW Did you get the music interface as well? [thankyou]

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
No I didn't get the music interface. I bought one cathode that already pulses to the beat, which is ontop of the trunk lid thinger for the hatch. All the other cathodes/LEDs are just wired up and turn on/off with a switch.

·
Registered
460 Posts
When I was using them I had them lying under the seats. They never really moved much and were out of the way. I dont use them any longer though. Went with LEDs. I have custom switches inside my center console arm rest and the wires are all hidden so you would never know they were there. I also have my amps cutoff switch right next to it. In my 2002.5 arm rest there is a section toward the rear of it that fits 3 round switch(enclosed in square holders) with red leds to tell me if they are on or not. They fit perfectly in there and do not hinder the use of the inside of the arm rest.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Holy thread revive batman! Sorry about the revive but I finally finished the installation of my cold cathodes. Here's the pic:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts