Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a 2006 Focus ZX4 SE Sedan.

A new mod I am looking to get here within the next few months is a new Air Intake system. I've been heavily debating with myself between Cold Air and Short Ram. I'm not sure which is better overall, and I've been doing a lot of research, but I'm still on the fence. I'd like to get the most horsepower I can from it. Any idea which one gives you more power? From what I can tell, the Short Ram is less dangerous in the sense that it wont get wet, whereas the Cold Air could get wet. Where I live, it rains a lot in the winter. But the Short Ram supposedly runs the risk of sucking in hot air, especially in the summer, defeating the whole purpose. So, I'm really kinda up in the air as to which one I should get. [scratch]

Second, I saw an Air Intake system from Volant that had TWO filters on the end of the pipe. Would this be a good option for a Focus? Or is that just extra money for not much more? Or is that type not even compatable with my kind of Focus?

Lastly, what is the general opinion of K&N vs Volant for air intake products?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, thanks. I'm sure this has been asked before but I couldn't find anything. Sorry.

SInce we're here though, does anyone have any opinions?

·
has a screw loose
9,927 Posts
I've got the K&N Typhoon intake on mine .

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was in the same situation,I went to autozone bought a specter air filter,made my own intake tube.I removed the stock air box, went from 26mpg to 32 mpg, it is mileage for me not hp if you have any question email me and I will give you the formula

·
Registered
262 Posts
I was in the same situation,I went to autozone bought a specter air filter,made my own intake tube.I removed the stock air box, went from 26mpg to 32 mpg, it is mileage for me not hp if you have any question email me and I will give you the formula
Would you be interested in doing a 'how to' on this? Because my mileage is only 26-27 MAX and id love to get it to 32

·
Registered
201 Posts
yea, post it up. I was thinking of picking up one of the ebay $65 specials with the dry stainless mesh filter to replace my PZEV zero maintenance box.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Your car comes from the factory with a cold air intake already in place. Replacing that with a K&N or other such after market stuff will not increase horsepower or gas mileage.
I would suggest that you don't waste your money.

·
So mote be it
8,959 Posts
Your car comes from the factory with a cold air intake already in place. Replacing that with a K&N or other such after market stuff will not increase horsepower or gas mileage.
I would suggest that you don't waste your money.
This is not accurate...

The 05-07 stock intakes are restrictive. They have a lifetime, non-serviceable air filter. Replacing that with a SRI or a CAI will help the car take in more air, which will increase HP, dont expect more than 5HP but its an increase. If you drive normal, it will increase MPG also. It's not going to drastically improve but i saw about a 2mpg increase on highway driving after installing FSWerks' CAI.

You can find dyno's showing the increase in HP of a CAI in the duratec forum and on manufacturer's websites such as fswerks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts