Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to buy some cold air intake. But i dont have alot of money to spend on it. Does any one know a good cheap brand of air intake i could look for?

And is intake easy or hard to install?

Please and Thank You's [drinking]

·
Registered
345 Posts
Well I got a K&N High Flow air filter in my stock airbox for now. I definatly noticed a difference and it was only $40. As for cheap cold air intakes I think K&N is the cheapest but IDK because the only intake I'm interested in getting is the Volant for $250. The K&N air filter was just to hold me over until I can get it. With that you just swap out the filters and it's super easy to install. As for AEM CAI or K&N CAIs you have to relocate the battery box I believe. And I have no clue how hard that is. Hope I helped.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya u did alot. Will just changing the filter to K&n like u change my performance at all?

·
Registered
345 Posts
It won't change it as much as a genuine CAI but I definatly felt a difference in response and it felt like it accelerated a little faster. It was worth the $40. But if you want to spend $150-$200 on a CAI go for it. Like I said I will be upgrading to a CAI eventually I just got the filter to hold me over. Or there's always ram air intakes, they give good gains and are cheaper that CAIs. CAIs are the best though. It's all up to what you're ready to spend.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol its all up to what i make =P 17 years old making minimium wage =P every two weeks 170 bucks lol so yea

·
Registered
345 Posts
Haha me too, 17 making minimum wage. Well here are some quotes for you,

AEM CAI: $257.95
K&N Typhoon CAI: $240.24
K&N High Flow Air Filter: $40.00

Yours might be more or less because I drive a 00 not an 05, but you get the price difference, so if you can't afford it I would go with the K&N High Flow for now and then when you've saved up some green upgrade to a CAI. Just my $0.02. GL

BTW the CAI quotes are from AutoAnything.com using your 05 focus.

·
Registered
259 Posts
well you should definetly post a thread into into a catagory that makes sense. look up duratec performance chat. honhon has made a great write up on cold air and short ram intakes including specs and prices. also 05-07 foci do not have an air box to which you can just drop in a new air filter. you have to do all or none. by all, i mean a complete aftermarket intake whether its cold or short ram. ford put a non servicable air filter good for 100000 miles in the 05-07.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Check ebay..like $70 buck for a cai..cheap filter though, but might work until you
get something better. Volant worked good for me.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Take your time and save up. That way you can buy what you want not what you can afford at the time. Took me a long time and a lot of money to learn that one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.