Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yeah, i'm wanting to put some money under the hood of my car, and i want to make sure to get the best bang for the buck... I was wondering, whats better for the SVTF, A short ram intake or cold air?

Yeah, i know, i'm a stupid rookie. but thanks for the help!

·
Registered
814 Posts
Depending on how much it rains n what not out where you live. I would suggest the Short ram. If you area is dry and nice you could easily get the CAI, i think over at www.myfordfocus.com they have the guard to prevent any water from coming in. I hear the CAI is much a better way to go for cool air which usually= better performance. With the CAI i would get a TB as well.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I had an AEM CAI, and it was great. SOunded awesome, but the filter placement just scared the shit outta me. I had a water shield and everything. I ended up having Wayne send me one of his HIA SRI intakes, and i love it. I like it. Only drawback , is my header heatshield is off, and IM going to have to wrap it to keep underhood temps down. I just couldnt stand hitting water with my AEM, and having my MAF or TPS freak out on me cuz it had moisture in it. Just a lil nerve wracking if it rains.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
See i read a review on some web site... i wish i rememered what... but It said the AEM Cold Air was amazing and sounded beautiful... but when they showed the picture of where the intake was... that made me really wonder... Thats the main reason i was wondering if i should get a short ram intake instead...

So can you tell any sort of a difference having a cold air intake, and also a short ram intake? and also wondering, what did you do with that cold air intake, you still have it and want it to be taken off your hands? :eek:)

·
Registered
621 Posts
many cold air intakes, including the new K&N's also come with a protective water baffle, usually made out of foam to keep water from passing a certain point of the intake. that, coupled with a splash guard, even if you have to make something yourself, should be plenty of protection from most rainy conditions, but its still generally advised against driving too much in heavy rain...no level of protection is perfect.

one interesting project I saw on intakes was a cold air ram, which featured two longer rams that replaced the fog lamps, and used both a steep incline, and 2 water baffles on both rams to help keep water from coming in. if I can find that pic again i'll post it...was kinda slick.

and a final, and notably the BEST option...is to buy a convertible ram intake. these usually operate primarilly as a cold air ram, but the end section is removable for wet driving conditions.
naturally these are also the more expensive option, but well worth it imo.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it had two ram intakes... where the FOG lights would be!?! thats frick'n crazy... I'd love to see that picture... How well do you think that would work?

I hate to sound to much like a complete idiot here, but what the hell is a piper cross system? I have never heard of that...

·
Registered
621 Posts
Venom713 said:
it had two ram intakes... where the FOG lights would be!?! thats frick'n crazy... I'd love to see that picture... How well do you think that would work?

I hate to sound to much like a complete idiot here, but what the hell is a piper cross system? I have never heard of that...
I've never personally worked with ram intakes, but on theory alone i would imagine that two seperate funnels running to the intake would provide a little extra performance - but probably not twice the improvement, like i'm sure they were hoping.
in total honesty, I would think that by the time you can afford 2 ram kits, you can just go SC/TC, unless youre just hell bent on not going that route, hehe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.