Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at the FSWerks Cold Air Intake recently and have been told it may be a bad idea to install in climates with lots of rain/snow. I live in Southern Ontario (Canada), so of course we see lots of snow in the Winter and rain in the spring.

I've also seen the Steeda and other brands that offer Short Ram Intakes.

Could someone advise what the difference is, and offer a recommendation?

I currently have a 100% stock 2010 Focus SEL. Just looking for some small mods to do -- looking for some information on both offerings, and suggestions as well.

·
Registered
318 Posts
hey, very good idea with the intake, its usually the first mod and most common mod people do to their cars (fun fact) preferably I go with the cold air intake but I realy dn't know your driving conditons , the best peopl can do is give you their opinions I hope they can help but you can read more about the unique perks both mods can do and this link can prbably help you the most. http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=192522

·
Registered
128 Posts
even though you'll learn quickly with the link josh posted, unless you plan to submerge your car in a water then you'll have no problem with a full cai. Now if you want to drive through 1 foot plus of water then go with an sri

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
even though you'll learn quickly with the link josh posted, unless you plan to submerge your car in a water then you'll have no problem with a full cai. Now if you want to drive through 1 foot plus of water then go with an sri
Obviously I have no intentions of driving through a foot of water -- my main concerns are:

a) if I hit a large puddle, how screwed am I?

b) we get a lot of snow in the winter and sometimes the car will bottom out. is this a problem?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Where my girlfriend lived during the winter the gutters without a doubt , was at and probably above the the air filter when I passed them I would keep my foot of the throttle but that doesn't mean I risked it and also there are times where people have gotten hydrolocked in heavy rain but I heard its near impossible.

In bottom out I'm guessin you mean the snow would surround the car completely at 1 foot high or so? Or am I wrong. But if that's what you mean I doubt the the intake would suck heavy snow.

·
Registered
128 Posts
the filter really needs to get submerged and ingest a lot of water. On my tbird the inner fender came out and I had the filter exposed in front of my tire. I drove through the rain and didn't have a problem. I've only heard of people hydrolocking when the whole filter gets dunked in water.

Honestly I would just go with an sri. You really won't have a huge problem with heat soak like the south does.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts