Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what is the material inside a resonator? Mine turned to dust and I'd like to replace it.
2.0 L dohc Zetec 2002
Thanks,
Jeff

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Interesting question, hadn't heard of one with anything in it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I figured it out. The dust is just that. Road dirt. I think there is nothing inside. At first i thought it might have once been scotch bright or something like that.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think I figured it out. The dust is just that. Road dirt. I think there is nothing inside. At first i thought it might have once been scotch bright or something like that.
That doesn't sound good. The air filter is ahead of the resonator, and is located in the driver-side wheel well (above the skirting material). So what you are seeing in your resonator is an indication of what has been going through your engine. You need to find where the air leak is, between the filter and the resonator, or what is wrong with the filter unit.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
OP's a zetec AK, ours are Duratecs with the 'lifetime' setup.

IIRC, the resonator on them is outside the airbox, on the "dirty" side of the filter.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Resonator usually has no filling, it is a precise volume and shape of air content to deaden low rpm intake resonation noise.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yeah I tossed that thing long ago. Dead weight is what that is!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts