Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone i am sorry if this is the wrong sport for this. it is my first post. i have a 2004 se with a 2.3l. I put a cold air intake on my car and hooked everything up that i could see as in MAF and the breather tube from the intake tube to the valve cover. i looked for a temp sensor and could not find one. I started the car and it idles great and i can get on the gas with it in park. the minute i took i out to drive it the check engine light came on and it sputtered when it drove. not only did it sputter but when it shifted it did really hard and it shifted so hard the tires chirped. its an automatic so i only got it out of second gear. parked the car took the cold air off and put the lifetime air box back on reset the computer and the car drove like it did before i put the cold air on and the check engine never came back on. anyone else run into this problem or have any ideas on what i can do to get a cold air on this car. i have looked all over for anything for this engine and i can not find a damn thing. that's why i joined this site. i just started going to mechanics school and i figured i might be able to learn something from everyone here.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Are you using the original MAF tube or does the CIA have a spot for the MAF sensor?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i tried both the cold air tube and just putting the cold air filter on the stock tube thinking that might have something to do with it and it did the same thing. i hooked it to a friends scanner and it said it was bogging the motor down. or not enough air to motor

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to "Duratec Performance".

Actual Codes from a scanner would help, those descriptions don't match any actual ones.

A cheap CAI with the wrong size tube often causes problems like you mention, don't know just how you "put the cold air filter on the stock tube".

What kind of filter might apply as well, over oil one & it won't work right for example.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i dont have the codes because we scanned it and then put all stock back on and it started working again. i used a sleeve to connect the filter to the stock tube. i believe the the brand of filter was spectre or something like that. i wish i would have written down the codes. my thing is i dont want to order a more expensive one from online and have it do the same thing. i believe i bought mine at autozone which i know was prob my first mistake lol i have put cold air on every car i have owned and never run into this problem.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Filter at the bottom of the stock MAF tube location creates a CAI that works, it's been done many times. You just need a filter to match the tube size there.

Cheap SRI can be made using the stock MAF tube & an air filter, search "Stealth SRI" & "Stealth CAI " for more info..

A cold air intake with a MAF tube section different than stock (wrong diameter) won't work (without tuning at least).

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Also be mindful that, if you changed the orientation of the MAF tube in any way, your MAF sensor might be pointing the wrong direction! Easy mistake to make if you're going for an SRI like mine (and so many others.) Check out this thread for a Steeda-like short-ram intake example: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=470025

It's been verified with temp sensors that heat soak is not really a problem in our engine bays, so no need to worry about a short-ram (shown above) versus a cold air (with the filter in the fender or somesuch.)

·
Registered
49 Posts
When I installed my CAI, I didnt unhook the negative battery cable, and as a result the MAF Sensor panicked when more airflow was coming into the engine, causing it to go haywire while driving, but it idled just fine.

Try disconnecting your negative battery cable for 15 minutes and then see if that helps. Solved my problem!

The fact that you put the stock intake back on and it went back to normal is what made me think this

1 - 9 of 9 Posts