Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a question for all you out there. Has anyone had any troubles with there cai in the winter months? Its almost winter time here and i was just wondering if there was any problems or should i just invest in a sri for the winter[race]

·
Registered
63 Posts
Why would that be an issue? It's a "cold air" intake. It may be harder to start, but other than that you would get better compression in the winter months anyways...

Anyone, correct me if I am wrong please [:)]

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its the whole slush factor. I dont want the filter to freeze and ruin my engine when i go to start it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Guess it depends how your CAI is positioned... if it is in a slush-prone area of your car, then yeah, may want to go to a SRI, but if it's not in your wheel well or facing backwards, I would think you would be ok.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got mine in the wheel weld facing as forward as i can get it. Got another question for you do you know anything about suspension on the focus??

·
Registered
63 Posts
There are plenty here who do, and a forum dedicated to it as far as suspensions go...

If you are driving through a lot of snow and it's in the wheelwell a SRI would be a good idea, IMO.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Do you have your lower splash guard in? If so then it should protect your filter pretty darn well from rain and slush cause its pretty secluded in the fender where the old airbox used to be. I wouldn't worry about it unless there are huge puddles to go through. I have the Steeda SRI and I am glad I did last winter. There were some puddles in this flooded town I have to go through that would have hydrolocked me.

As far as suspension there is a suspension/wheels/tires forum here you can post in.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got the splash guard on. I was just thinking of gettin a dry charger too just for the little more protection from splash and freezing. If it comes down to it i might get a sri for the winter and then just put my cai in the summer

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
a lot of people switch out to an SRI during the winter

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ya thats what ive been reading but alot leave it in during the winter months. I think i was just expecting to hear some hydrolock horror stories haha to scare me into a sri for winter

·
Registered
63 Posts
This one time, in band camp... oh wait, hydrolock story [:)~]

·
Sticker Whore
18,739 Posts
i didnt have any issues with my cossy intake the last few winters ive had it... i think i had 2 times where it got (atleast i think) TO cold of air and bogged down and shut off, but the second it starts and i rev a few times let things warm up its golden... a bit louder in winter is all ive noticed

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have my CAI in all year around and have no issues. Not to mention, if you see any large puddles, just simply avoid them as you have no idea how deep they really are (common sense stuff).

However, if you are really paranoid about this sort of thing, paying the extra money for a sri may be worth the peace of mind (or the cost of replacing an engine).

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
All it takes is one gulp of water, which doesn't compress in the cylinder, of course.....then a rod bends or breaks.

The last one I fixed like this....a Z car with a CAI. The long block alone cost 13K.

Worth the risk?

·
Gal. 2:20
1,999 Posts
I have a fs CAI and so far it's been fine. I live in the PNW and it rains 7 months out of the year never had a problem yet....*knocking on wood*..

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
you could read the stickie about hydrolock if you're scared, however the only problem i would worry about is the filter getting super dirty super fast from the salt and whatnot...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thats why i think i might by the dry charger just for that extra piece of mind. But if worst comes to worst i might just buy a sri. On CFM they have a package deal for steeda sri and cfm throttle body for 460 so i might go with that

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
sweet, i love that intake

·
Registered
119 Posts
what about one of those outerwears? i live in jersey, and weve had relatively mild winters the last 2 years, but you never know... im getting my cai installed (by me) saturday so i think im gonna get one of those outerwears to protect it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ya im pretty sure its called a dry charger. If you look it up you will see it. there about 40 bucks each and they keep the wet out. its like a waterproof jacket that breaths haha

1 - 20 of 76 Posts