Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help! this is the first time that I have done any mods to a 4 cyl front wheel drive car! I put on a cold air intake, and the damn check engine light came on and the car sees to spit and sputter at certain speeds! Can anyone help me with this proplem?????????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
341 Posts
First I would go back to your car, disconnect your neg. battery cable for at least 15 min. while its disconnected recheck that all of your fittings are tighted down and also check to see if you reconeccted your MAF. if all is well re- connect battery and start your engine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
367 Posts
HempHound said:
First I would go back to your car, disconnect your neg. battery cable for at least 15 min. while its disconnected recheck that all of your fittings are tighted down and also check to see if you reconeccted your MAF. if all is well re- connect battery and start your engine.

Hey pothead, please don't give any more advice.

conwellkd, what cold air intake have you put on the car? Please give us a step by step of what you have done under the hood to your intake. Can you post a pic of your intake system?

And just to clarify, it is not necessary to disconnect your battery.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,528 Posts
mailman 666 disconecting the battery resets the computer so that it releans your shift point and remaps how the car is learning, doing this is a good idea after doing any mod it helps the car adjust to the new mod so telling pothead not to give advice anymore is a little harsh, yes the creator of this post should have given us way more details then he/she did but dont tell another poster who is giving good advice for something that could fix the problem to stop helping, because help is what these forums are for
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
433 Posts
^^^agreed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,022 Posts
umm. the pcm does not need to be "reset".
after you reset it you have to follow what your owners manual says after you disconect the battery, which takes forever.

and if you don't it just takes longer to learn, ironicly the same amount of time it takes for it to learn if you don't "reset" it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
341 Posts
The Mailman 666 said:
Hey pothead, please don't give any more advice.

conwellkd, what cold air intake have you put on the car? Please give us a step by step of what you have done under the hood to your intake. Can you post a pic of your intake system?

And just to clarify, it is not necessary to disconnect your battery.

[:D] What kind of a$$hole are you anyway???????????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
It's one thing to disagree... but it's another to attack someone.... jeez...

I agree with disconnecting the battery. If nothing else it is something that COULD work without having to get all crazy with taking things apart and whatnot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
367 Posts
wickedgreyzx3 said:
umm. the pcm does not need to be "reset".
after you reset it you have to follow what your owners manual says after you disconect the battery, which takes forever.

and if you don't it just takes longer to learn, ironicly the same amount of time it takes for it to learn if you don't "reset" it
Thank you! I should have said it like that. Please guys don't "reset" your pcm it is a waist of time.

Sorry, I apologize to the pothead.[paranoid]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,022 Posts
cruzstyle said:
i know that reseting my PCM and then doing the steps in the book took about 20 mins to finish but my light has not come back on in over 6 months after my intake problems
well if you would have just driven it for a day or 2 it would hav egone off on it's own. and you do know that the code is still stored for 30+trips
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,948 Posts
Just double check all your connectios. If you still get a CEL then do the
odometer hack and check what the code is. Someone on these boards will
know what the code stands for and then you can take the corrective action
required to get rid of the code.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
367 Posts
wickedgreyzx3 said:
well if you would have just driven it for a day or 2 it would hav egone off on it's own. and you do know that the code is still stored for 30+trips
Agian correct! Man your good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,528 Posts
when i took my car in to the dealer for my CEL there fix was disconnected the battery and that cost me 40 bucks, ill tell u what i was pretty damn pissed off. but the tech said thats the first thing they do and if that doesnt work then they look further into it. plus it better to try disconnecting the battery then waiting 2 days when there just might be something really worng and then its to late
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
341 Posts
The Mailman 666 said:
Thank you! I should have said it like that. Please guys don't "reset" your pcm it is a waist of time.

Sorry, I apologize to the pothead.[paranoid]
It's all good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,395 Posts
um... i've been on these forums for a few months now and this is the first i've heard NOT to disconnect the neg. terminal...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
496 Posts
Sounds like you have an air leak. Double check all of your hose connections.
Add very little grease to them and re-snug the connections. DON'T over tighten them, if you deform the connections by over tightening you will cause more air leaks then you fixed.

Personaly I did not disconnect my battery when I put a CAI on my '05 ZX3.
I have taken it apart several times and never reset the comp. In a few miles the system re-learns for the new air volume all by its self.

And post up more details about you CAI.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,797 Posts
I want to know what intake he has first rather than pulling a bunch of random ideas out of my rectum.

I'd give even odds that it's some homebrew setup or a "universal" cold air rather than one properly designed for the duratec and it's maf.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
367 Posts
aero_student said:
I want to know what intake he has first rather than pulling a bunch of random ideas out of my rectum.

I'd give even odds that it's some homebrew setup or a "universal" cold air rather than one properly designed for the duratec and it's maf.
Agreed! Dudes probably slapped some piece of s%^t on his car.
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top