Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i have a 2003 ford focus (or so i thought), I bought it in august of 2003 from the dealership. I've always been told my car is a bit abnormal, it has a few different things on it such as a stock cold air intake (which does absolutely nothing, no cool sound and it feels like no extra horsepower). but anyways i went and bought an aftermarket cold air intake for an 03. last night i spent about 2 hours taking off that stock cold air only to fiind when I removed the sensor from the old one the hole was way too small for it to fit in the new one. so i thought to myself that's wierd but maybe if i machine out the hole it will work. Then I went to go put it in just to see if it would fit before drilling and grinding and there is absolutely no way that intake will fit under my hood. my question was could i possibly have the 04 2.3 liter engine? are the parts all that different?????

·
Registered
131 Posts
2003-2004 would be the same.. Did you buy it brand new
if not maybe it's a re-built that's why things would be a bit off or different

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i bought the car brand new but 04 was when they started making the 2.3 liter engines and it might be different because of the engine size

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
no, you've got a 2.3. in '03 they were in the green states (such as CA) not until '04 did they become available for all states

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so would the problem be that the store sent me the one for 2.0 instead of 2.3? would it really be that different?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Yep!

Take a pic of the engine bay so we can be sure.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Yes, a pic will let us know for sure. But most states had the 2.0 zetec, but in Cali. you prolly got a 2.3 PZEV...TOTALLY different.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I posted some pics on my profile, not sure how to display them on here so click on my gallery, sorry it took me a while i've been workin a lot and had to resize the images and arrrrgggg!!!! lol anyways any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i just noticed too after looking at your photos my engine compartment is set up a lot different than most of yours....intake comes out the side of the engine and not on top, battery in the back rather than the front and so on. so ya i'm not crazy or too stupid to install the thing my cars just wierd lol

·
Registered
295 Posts
you have a 2.0 duratec.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
levelseven said:
you have a 2.0 duratec.
nope, it's a 2.3...

The CAI you purchased is probably for the zetec.
Purchase a Focus-Sport Cold Air intake.

Places to browse for parts.
www.focussport.com
www.marcymotorsport.com
www.newedgeperformance.com

Make certain the parts you purchase are for your 2.3 liter duratec.
BTW, your car does have balance shafts, and yes you can removed them with Marcy Motorsports Kit, or Cosworth makes a kit, and that's available from focus-sport.

If you are interested in turbo, Focus-sport has recently developed a kit, and it's really successful. Hi-boost also makes a kit.

Tuning (ECU reflashing, the successor to 'chips') is done by Super Chips Tuning. SCT makes an Xcalibrator unit, that reflashes the ECU with new hi performance tunes.

that's sums up the nessecary info for the newly informed Duratec-owner.
[:D] Take pride with your 2.3. It's a rare, and very potential breed of focus.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
^
Basically, in 2003/4 there were only two engines that Ford put in the Focus; the 2.0 Zetec and the 2.3 Duratec. You don't have a Zetec, it has a black valve cover that has "Zetec 16V" and the Ford emblem printed on it, so that narrows it down to the 2.3 Duratec. It can't be a 2.0 Duratec because those didn't appear in the Focus until 2005.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i get it now!!!! lol thanks for the help, now do the zetecs have more power or the duratecs????

·
Registered
672 Posts
Exantus said:
i get it now!!!! lol thanks for the help, now do the zetecs have more power or the duratecs????
Be happy you've got the 2.3. I live in Massachusetts, and bot a used 03 2.3, and it honks. There are a few threads ref the "massive" intake/filter arrangement. I'm currently testing to determine just how restrictive the stock system is, and hope to present this shortly.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
The only problem with the 03/04 2.3s is the MTX-75s they mated them with have a 3.41 final drive ratio, which is obscenely tall. Good for gas mileage and technical top-end, but lousy for acceleration off the line. If I had one, 3.82 or 4.06 gears would be the first drivetrain mod I'd do.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well i've done exhaust and i'm workin on gettin the intake right now cause i wanted to start off by gettin a little more hp but as soon as i get intake i'm goin after an adjustable dampening system i know it's pricey but i think good suspension is well worth it. i don't care how fast you can go if you can't drift or take a tight corner it's not worth a thing

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
^
Agreed, the only way you can drift in a FWD car is in the snow or loose gravel (etc.)

Its fun to be able to take the corners fast, but its even better when you take the corner fast and then hammer down on the throttle and blast out of the turn into the next straight. Its the best of both worlds [:D]

1 - 20 of 31 Posts