Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I went to the local pic-a-part yesterday and scrounged through four wrecked foci and pulled some parts. I pulled a gauge surround with a coin holder out of one. I want to put a dual gauge pod out of the coin tray.

With that said, can any one give me some hints. I have a little fiberglass experience and since I only paid $1 for the surround i'm not too worried about messing up. Any hints or pictures would be great!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
you mean like the svt ones?

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
I dont have much experience with anything like this, but I think he is talking about doing something like this:

I could be wrong though...

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
yeah thats what the svt has ..for oil temp and pressure i believe..they are $$ but look awsome imo

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Easiest way i've seen, I tried a few times but failed didn't put enough effort into it, is grab a 2inch pvc pipe (or whatever size gauge you're using), and get some platic weld and bond it in the position you want on the surround. Then you can lay some fabric over the new gauge pods and some resin to get a good base and starting shape. Once it dries just build up some more fiberglass/resin, 3 layers should be plenty, and start sanding. Use some bondo as a top coat to fill any minor imperfections.

or the best tip of all....

Check out fiberglassforums.com

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea guys thats exactly what I want to do. I plan on putting a oil pressure and oil temp gauge in. Yes they are kinda expensive gauges but also good to have... Thanks pistolgripbmx thats the advise I was looking for... If any one else as any other suggestions I'm all ears ;)

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sweet! That's exactly what I was wanting to hear. Okay eventurke now I have another question. Where did you tap the block for your oil pressure and oil temp? I am geting autometer electric gauges. I just want some advise to maybe eliminate some of my searching. Thanks again!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Sweet! That's exactly what I was wanting to hear. Okay eventurke now I have another question. Where did you tap the block for your oil pressure and oil temp? I am geting autometer electric gauges. I just want some advise to maybe eliminate some of my searching. Thanks again!
Zetec's have a threaded plug near the coil you can remove. I plumbed some AN hose to a block that holds the OP sender and OP warning light switch. I also had to do a slight relocation of the coil (still on the same bracket).

OT sender is in a threaded adapter that replaced the oil drain plug.

I'll see if I can get pics - there should be some threads on here about the OP locations as well.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sweet!!! Thanks for the help. I've installed gauges in diesels before, but never in a foci. I found a thread on the OP but didn't find one on the OT. Glad to hear that the OT is just a threaded fitting into the drain plug. Should be a pretty easy install. Thanks so much!

·
Fear the TurboSnail!
6,625 Posts
On the Dtec you can pull the factory oil sensor and put a T adaptor there and put both and oil pressure gauge sensor or line (for mechanical) and the factory sensor.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Wow that's interesting, looks like a weapon! Nice work [thumb] I had one where my ash tray is for awhile I made from fiberglass.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts