Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey forum, I've searched around a little bit to See what the best set of coilovers I should get for my 2005 focus Zx4 ST. I with thinking over going with either Megan street coilovers or Ksport coilovers. I like the Megan's because the color matches the color of my car and I've heard good things about Megan's, and I've heard just as good with ksport, which also has a fully adjustable camber built in with it. What do you guys think?

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
I have used K-sports for the past year or two, happy with them, still working as Id expect. They can go lower than i need and still handle fine. I'm at winter height currently and get to be a little rougher than i can when really low, enjoying the turns lately. You just really need to make sure you maintain the threads, Id suggest cleaning them every so often to prevent them from locking up when you want to adjust them. Mine were harder to break free than I would have liked going from summer to winter height. Cleaned them up/lubed and all is well now though (didnt have an issue this spring adjusting back to summer height after winter.)

Do not buy coilovers based on color lol, you never see the parts unless you are working on the car. Also, K-sports (Kontrol pro in my case) do not have any camber adjustment built in. Similar price point are ST coilovers (essentially galvanized version of KW V1's,) heard good things about them as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those were the ksport ones I was looking at. Says you can adjust the camber as needed via pillow top, which I found odd because traditionally with stock suspension camber is adjusted at the lower strut bolts connecting to the spindle.

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
Those were the ksport ones I was looking at. Says you can adjust the camber as needed via pillow top, which I found odd because traditionally with stock suspension camber is adjusted at the lower strut bolts connecting to the spindle.
yeah the pillow top does not equal camber adjustment...it may allow you to adjust camber via other means but not with the parts included in that coilover.

Some K-sports for different cars have these:

But mine did not, even if they did, not sure we would be able to adjust them with how small our openings in the strut mount actually are (probably the reason they do not come with it actually.) I had mine off the car to clean them but didnt think about taking a good picture of the pillow top. Here is one i found that i cropped some. Unfortunately it has nothing on the top like the picture above for adjustment.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, I figured it sounded weird to adjust front the mount. Caster adjustment makes sense, but camber is usually done at the bottom. Thank you for the info. What do you suggest for other suspension parts, like antiroll bars, trailing arms, bushings, in links, and other stuff that's apart of the suspension system?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As well as chassis reinforcement. I'm trying to go with a rally build on my focus, and I'm starting with brakes and suspension. Doing a turbo build will be the last part of it, considering I plan to rebuild the motor and trans before I do it, and once I install a turbo and intercooler kit, it'll have the suspension and brakes to properly support it.

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
I cant say i have read much about people really abusing k-sports or megans in a rally setting and how they would hold up or which would be better. I have only ever used my k-sports and other suspension parts in a street setting. Hopefully someone can chime in with some first hand experience for you

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hopefully, that'd be helpful. I'm not planning doing too much rallying, but I like having the ability to go out on some forest like roads and having some fun.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
You can find more Rally info. in the "Road Race & Rally" section.

Coilovers are a step backwards for rally use (except for custom high $ rally suspension) as they lower the car. Max height on the adjustables STARTS at a decent drop.

Stiffer & higher is the objective, not as easy to do since little is avail. for that.

Minimal drop & stiffer from an SVT suspension can help, and spacers can bring that back up to stock ride height or a little better. That's one inexpensive way to get a mild Rally setup.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts