Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed silvers coilovers on my car and the tire rubs on the locking collar for the height adjustment. Im also getting noises going over bumps. I’m on the stock tires and factory premium wheels. I was thinking if adding preload could solve the clunk noise? Also to solve the rubbing issue I was thinking to add positive camber. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
333 Posts
I recently installed silvers coilovers on my car and the tire rubs on the locking collar for the height adjustment. Im also getting noises going over bumps. I’m on the stock tires and factory premium wheels. I was thinking if adding preload could solve the clunk noise? Also to solve the rubbing issue I was thinking to add positive camber. Any thoughts?
Turning the spring adjuster so it clears the tire could work, but it will also change your ride height.

Camber will not change anything. The wheel/tire relationship to the strut is fixed.

Wheel spacers would probably be the easiest fix

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Turning the spring adjuster so it clears the tire could work, but it will also change your ride height.

Camber will not change anything. The wheel/tire relationship to the strut is fixed.

Wheel spacers would probably be the easiest fix

The thing that sucks is that the stock Goodyear tires have that rim protector. That is the part that’s rubbing.

I’m lowered as far as I can go. I played around with height adjustment and the adjustable end links that came with the kit would be too short at that point.

I didn’t want it to come down to spacers but it’s probably a likely possibility at this point. How would a new set of wheels/tires work? I would be going up to 245s but the offset of the wheels would be +40 compared to the +55 on the stock wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
333 Posts
The thing that sucks is that the stock Goodyear tires have that rim protector. That is the part that’s rubbing.

I’m lowered as far as I can go. I played around with height adjustment and the adjustable end links that came with the kit would be too short at that point.

I didn’t want it to come down to spacers but it’s probably a likely possibility at this point. How would a new set of wheels/tires work? I would be going up to 245s but the offset of the wheels would be +40 compared to the +55 on the stock wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
Just have to do the math on the wheel/tire difference.
Need more info. Current wheel/tire width to new wheel/tire width

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just have to do the math on the wheel/tire difference.

Need more info. Current wheel/tire width to new wheel/tire width

I have the stock wheels and tires now. So 235/40/18
18x8 I believe.

I’d probably go up to a 245/40/18 with a 18x8.5 wheel.

I’m honestly still new to the whole suspension/wheel and tire game so thanks for your patience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have the stock wheels and tires now. So 235/40/18
18x8 I believe.

I’d probably go up to a 245/40/18 with a 18x8.5 wheel.

I’m honestly still new to the whole suspension/wheel and tire game so thanks for your patience.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
In this case, wheel offset is measured from centerline. If you kept the same offset, but went to a .5" wider wheel it would add .25" to the inside and outside of the wheel. This would rub worse by .25" on the coilover side.
Now you go more +offset and it gets even worse.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts