Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a question for you guys. I've been trying to do my research and feel confident I could install my coilovers myself with some help then take it in for alignment after instead of paying to have them installed somewhere. But I've been reading and have seen many people say that suspension should be installed by a professional mechanic and many people also say it's perfectly fine to do yourself as long as you take your time and do everything right.
What do you guys think? Tackle myself or cough up the cash?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Do you have the tools to perform the job? Do you feel comfortable performing the work? Tools and a little mechanical aptitude are the majority of what you need. I would also get a manual with the torque specs and a good torque wrench (CDI, etc.). You can get by with German torque, I'm a fan of torque wrenches and engineered specs. Be sure you use rated jack stands to support the vehicle. Never get under a vehicle that is supported only by a hydraulic/screw jack. Your life is worth more than the cost of a set of good jack stands.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do feel confident, I also have the right tools, stands, ect. I need. I do however need to find a manual with torque specs.
I have a Pittsburgh torque wrench. Hopefully that's alright?
I replaced the motor mount the other day with ease. But I know the suspension is a lot different.
If I were to end up taking it in about what do you think would be a decent estimate?

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
I do feel confident, I also have the right tools, stands, ect. I need. I do however need to find a manual with torque specs.
I have a Pittsburgh torque wrench. Hopefully that's alright?
I replaced the motor mount the other day with ease. But I know the suspension is a lot different.
If I were to end up taking it in about what do you think would be a decent estimate?
A shop would go by what ever their computer says it would take to complete. I am guessing it would be around 2-3 hours x ~$100/hour(whatever shop rates near you are, dealership would be more.) Not sure how much different the new focus suspension is to my gen but I'd say I could swap mine out in 2 hours. Do exercise caution if you need to compress the springs to remove the oem ones.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
If you buy an extra set of front upper strut mounts and assemble the coilovers beforehand (assuming the coilovers didn't come with their own top hats) its gonna make the install much much easier and eliminate the need for a spring compressor. Suspensions really aren't too difficult, just make sure to take your time and be careful around the rear springs etc

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is a really good idea! Only little more just to buy new mounts rather a quality spring compressor that I'll only use once or twice.
About the rear springs though. I've watched several videos. And the CJponyparts video on the ST suspension they used a jack to reinstall and compress the the rear springs into place by jacking the control arms up into place with the spring in between if that makes sense?
Is that what people talk about not being safe and to buy a compressor for as well?

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I did mine similarly to that, but I used a screw jack while doing the rear springs on a lift. I've never had an issue doing it like that as long as you go slow, but its definitely not as safe as a spring compressor. Its not really all that easy getting a spring compressor in the rear though.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With everyone saying its farely easy I'll probably end up doing it myself.
Anyone know a good calculater for Da.Nm to ft lbs? I was going to use the ford racing instructions for the torque settings but it's all in newton meters and my torque wrench is in decanewtonmeters and ft. Lbs.
or if you know where to find all torque specs!

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
What coilovers did you end up going with?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
With learning the hard way in the past not to cheap out on certain things I went with the H&R kit.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found it before and forgot to bookmark it but cant seem to find it again, wasn't there a pretty good write up on installing coilovers on the MK3?

·
Registered
472 Posts
If this is the MK3 install, that Youtube video by CJPonyParts installing the ST X coil over suspension is an AWESOME video to go by. Use that, and it's simple enough. I'm not huge monkey wrench, but I can do suspension with confidence. Give it a try, listen to the previous posts, and you'll be fine. Just be sure to take your time, and allow yourself the patience required to get it done! Good luck!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's the video I was going to use! Just need to get some free time on my hands lol
And I need to make up my mind on some damn wheels lol

I found the specs for everything but I have to go through and convert it all its in Nm and my wrench is only in ft. Lbs. lmao

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The way the strut mounts sit on the front springs looks sketchy? I feel like I'm missing a piece. I'll upload a pic, it looks like there's a small gap..

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Was too hard to get of what I was talking about. But is this the only piece that goes on top of the front springs?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Coil-overs are normally easy to install as long as you have the appropriate tools for getting them major bolts undone. Some car's have issues particular setups, but normally there is a straightforward fix.

The biggesr problem is getting them all setup. Pre-tension, and other adjustments to ensure you have a safe drive.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts