Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, this weekend I replaced the spark plugs in my 2009 Focus.
I got the first 3 plugs changed and the coil on and off fine but when I got to the 4th one it was stuck. I pulled on it hard and the coil came out while the couil rubber boot was stuck inside. I couldn't get it out so I put the coil back in and it runs fine however I would like to change that plug.
Can anyone suggest what I should do?

·
Registered
455 Posts
yeah just yank the boot off we ALWAYS replace the boots with a tuneup being as they are rubber and sit in heat all the time

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't want to damage the rubber boot. I'm told it cannot be purchased separately from Ford. I'd need a complete new coil

·
Captain TMI
21,227 Posts
I don't want to damage the rubber boot. I'm told it cannot be purchased separately from Ford. I'd need a complete new coil
BS

You can purchase coil boots at any parts store. Ford may not sell them separately, but everyone else on the planet does.

Now that being said, did you try twisting? Just like with a rubber hose, if you just pull, you won't break it loose every time, turn it, and it breaks loose, then you can pull it off. This is the factory manual recommendation for removing the coil and boot.

Do not use WD40 or some other lube to try to remove it. You might start a fire once the engine is running.

·
Captain TMI
21,227 Posts
OH, and the new boots should come with the spring and metal dowel that sits inside the spring. As long as you didn't break the metal tab off the bottom of the coil, then you didn't do any damage to it

·
Registered
455 Posts
yeah ford sells just the boots like i said we replace them the springs idk about i have never replaced just a spring and yes the new coils do come complete but that make for a very pricey tuneup lol

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks alot guys, I will look elsewhere to buy the rubber boot alone and make sure I have it before trying to remove the old one.
I was told the plugs were pre gapped but I didn't check. What should the gap be on stock fors plugs? Stock 2009 focus

·
Registered
455 Posts
yes all stock plugs need to be gapped they are normally close but i still gap everyone and get a wire type gapper because with a wedge style you can chip the coating off the plug resulting in less plug life.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts