Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am second guessing the diagnosis after reading this forums for the past two hours....

2002 zx5 I bought it 5 months ago. There was a strange creaking noise when turning so the dealer said their people would look at it. They ended up telling me I had rocks in my springs they banged out and everything was good. It drove very nice for a long while.

Then one day I started to get clunks, loud thumps when I went over very large speed bumps. Not great, but only happened maybe one a week. It then started to get a little more frequent and mainly only when the car was on a full tank and went over bumps. I'm so naive I thought for awhile that my entire bottom was being pulled and scraped and was going to fall off.

so driving along.... I came to another large speed bump, normal speed but it was the loudest clunk I'd heard yet. Like a bang.... and then it just kept happening. I drove it straight to my parents where it's been for the past two days.

My dad jacked it up and took the wheel off and had me turn it in different directions. Loud massive thumps on the right hand side when we were jacking it up and when the wheel was turning. He decided there had to be something with the spring and I should get those replaced and that was it. I brought it home thumping all the way and parked it.

And then I started to read these forums. So here is the best photo I've gotten so far of the coil - I will try for better, I know these are kind of pants.

Any thoughts? suggestions? comments? Is this really the spring? I know I'm covered under the warranty but what if there is something else going on?

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
take it to Ford theres a Voluntary recall on those.. they will replace them either way'

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could there be something else going on too though? One way or the other it has to be fixed, I just want to know what I'm in for and not be taken for as I'm a girl who isn't all that car savy.... at all.

·
Jetsetter
6,657 Posts
chances are that is what your problem is as Feral said there is a voluntary recall on this issue, and should be fixed by ford at no cost to you

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks :) I appreciate it! Hopefully I can learn things from the people here and become a little better at it all. It's kind of ridiculous being a 27 year old woman who has to drive directly to her fathers every time the car makes a noise!

·
Stock
5,040 Posts
We all love to help out! I had an 01 and had a coil break, i however just replaced it with a svt suspension so ford wouldnt cover that lol.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
LOL Mine was covered Sadly when it broke it did damage to the inner wheel well and pulled the car into a ramp retaining wall they repaired the spring and the well cover but the scratches they didn't cover..

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,785 Posts
My cousin had that problem with his 90 tracer but i don't believe driving into a ditch helped his spring any lol. anyway take it to ford they'll fix it like everyone said.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
My cousin had that problem with his 90 tracer but i don't believe driving into a ditch helped his spring any lol. anyway take it to ford they'll fix it like everyone said.
[rofl]

I may have to do that to wagon 2 before its body is fixed I want free springs so I can remove em and upgrade them before my warranty runs out [hihi]

·
Registered
2017 Focus 1.0 Ecoboost 2003 Focus ZTW
270 Posts
It looks like you might need struts too. There's a lot of fluid on the strut. It would make sense to do it now while it's all apart.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The fluid.... is my father spraying it with WD-40 like a crazy person. It did not do anything to help, my dad is cute, he's the best I've got, he tries really hard and is mr fix it. We even made it roll off the jack, I've never laughed so hard in my life. It took 20 minutes and this weird jack up at the back and put boards under it to get it up again... *sigh*

I shouldn't be allowed to touch these things!

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I had both of mine break on me... at the same tiem too... weird... just take it to the dealer... for free.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I took mine to the dealer two weeks ago and there is a recall and they will replace it free of charge.. You have up to 150,000 to get it done...

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
<-- Had his done with over 150,000 XD

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the advice and giving me a little bit of car confidence to not be taken advantage of! It's awesome... I will have a free fixed car tomorrow. Well I might have to pay for a bearing of some sort, but that's only $20 so I'm fine with that.

·
Registered
975 Posts
yeah i had both of mine give out at the same time too. i just got lowering springs.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update

I just heard from the shop who says I also need new bearings, swaybars and swaybar end links. This will cost me about $170 (I get a discount) they will cover the labour under the spring recal. What do you think? I said yes because in the long run $170 is cheaper than $500 if something truly is wrong with them. I used some sort of logic over my lack of any technical knowledge....

Would this really be something that needed fixing also? What are the symptoms of them being bad? I have a feeling the "rocks" I had in my springs a couple months ago when the other dealer offered to fix it didn't exist....

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
Agreed, the swaybar itself should be fine, but perhaps they are just replacing all the bushings, which is fine, and not bad for $170. Go for it, and the whole rear should be good as new.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts