Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just curious....cuz i dont really know much bout coil overs....can u put aftermarket coil overs...just the coil overs themselves......on a stock shock and strut???

·
Registered
732 Posts
Just get springs if your gonna do that. Coilovers come with springs, shock,adjustable spring seat. So if ur just gonna keep the stock shocks, just get springs.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i know.....but i dont want just lowerign springs....i want coil overs...but theyre too much brand new.....SCREWWW IT.....ima do airbags

·
Registered
12 Posts
actually i want to touch on that. i have a set of coilover springs with the spring seat but no struts, is it possible to do it with the stock struts? anyone know where to look for instructions to do it?

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
While I'm sure this has been covered before, any strut or shock that is surrounded by a coiled spring is a "coil over". The front end of a Focus is a coil over design. It is not however an "adjustable coil over" design. If you want to raises and lower the ride height of your vehicle you need a threaded collar on the strut or shock body which is used to compess the spring and in return raises the car or when tension is released, lowers the car. Many companies (ground control probably being the best as well as the most expensive) sell drop over collars and spring sets to convert the stock coil over to adjustable coil overs. You can also buy stocks and struts that come threaded from the factory. Popular models include Bilstein PSS and Tein. If you go with the drop over option just make sure the damping rate of the shock/strut can handle the spring rate. Most OEM struts and shocks can handle a spring increase of only 10% or so. Good after maket shocks like a Tokico illumina, Bilstein HD, or Koni sport can handle increases up to 20 to 25%. Over that you are better off buying a shock/spring matched system.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts