Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am absolutely positive that this has been asked before but i couldn't find it using the search function so can someone link me to a thread that discusses all the differences, pros/cons to spring+strut/shock vs. coil over and how it all works?

Thanks!

time for bed[sleep]

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
basically coil over setups give you full adjustability where as most strut shock setups do not. It depends on what you are wanting out of your susp. Are you going to be doing some racing? or just want a lowered look? I have the frpp susp. 1.5+ drop all the way around and it drives awesome. the stance is perfect. at least for me. Plus coil over run around a grand... so

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Unfortunately, the inexpensive coil-over systems, don't provide much in the way of performance improvements. These systems use a spring mount or seat on a threaded shock/strut body. While they're effective at reducing ride height that's about it. Using them to raise ride height is ineffective because it compresses the spring and results in the loss of suspension travel. In reality, a quality non-adjustable lowering spring and adjustable shock like a Koni or KYB AGX would be better a better solution than some of these cheaper coil-over options. If the main intent of having a coil-over system is for height control then a coilover system with an adjustable length shock body is preferred over those with just a spring adjustment. Understand that these latter systems will be more expensive but will provide much better tuning and adjustment options. Most of these are referred to as triple adjustable 1) separate height adjustment, 2) separate spring adjustment, and 3) shock valving adjustment.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what if I don't care about adjusting ride height and i just want a stiff-arse ride that handles very well. I also don't want it to lower too much.

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
get eibach prokit with some kyb agx struts.

or got with the pro dampers!

I have some And will sell you my springs with pro damper struts.

·
Gal. 2:20
1,999 Posts
Unfortunately, the inexpensive coil-over systems, don't provide much in the way of performance improvements. These systems use a spring mount or seat on a threaded shock/strut body. While they're effective at reducing ride height that's about it. Using them to raise ride height is ineffective because it compresses the spring and results in the loss of suspension travel. In reality, a quality non-adjustable lowering spring and adjustable shock like a Koni or KYB AGX would be better a better solution than some of these cheaper coil-over options. If the main intent of having a coil-over system is for height control then a coilover system with an adjustable length shock body is preferred over those with just a spring adjustment. Understand that these latter systems will be more expensive but will provide much better tuning and adjustment options. Most of these are referred to as triple adjustable 1) separate height adjustment, 2) separate spring adjustment, and 3) shock valving adjustment.
Sorry but I have to disagree w/ this^^^. I have a set of H&R adjust. coilovers and the improvement in performance is great. I went from Eibach pro kit to adjustables and it is a magor diff. I get hardly any roll w/ the car and the look of it droped is great too. the thing you have to coinsider is preformance over being comfertable. The ride is purrdy stiff and can if not installed rite screw some stuff up....but for the most part they are great IMO.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Sorry but I have to disagree w/ this^^^. I have a set of H&R adjust. coilovers and the improvement in performance is great. I went from Eibach pro kit to adjustables and it is a magor diff. I get hardly any roll w/ the car and the look of it droped is great too. the thing you have to coinsider is preformance over being comfertable. The ride is purrdy stiff and can if not installed rite screw some stuff up....but for the most part they are great IMO.
I believe he was talking about the Ebay "coilovers". And yes you can use company A struts with company B springs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts