Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've recently installed a set of D2 coilover. now, the setup is that it is adjusted all the way up coz I like some of the clearance (no 45 angle at speed bump or crawl up a driveway hoping ot doesn't scraoe). there is very little droop on the suspension. I could lift the car couple if inches and have clearance from ground. thoe only other person I know that has used this brand is tantalus, and I don't know where he is,

now if the shocks are "topping" out ie the shock pistons(I think) would at the lowest possible pooint and used for DD what whould happen? it's not adjusted all the way up, it still has some travel, but say if the wheel hit a manhole cover or a dip then quickly a bump after, I would hear a thud (sound like it, can't really expaining it)

I know what effect is bottoming out - ie shock pistons hit top of tube, what would happen if you topping out - ie shock pistons hit the bottom of tube?

just kinda worry about it. thjanks

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
You question is a little fuzzy. I believe D2's have the luxury of a separate adjustment for height adjustment. The shock bottom mount can be threaded to extend or shorten the length of the shock. This is preferable to a spring compression only adjustment which is very inefficient. Spring compression only coilovers drastically effect suspension travel especially when used to raise ride height. If this is what you are doing with the D2's (using the spring compression to adjust height) then yes you're likely having shock travel issues. All height adjustments should be done with the adjustable lower shock mounts, this way you have maximum free spring length and avoid spring binding (probably the thud your hearing) and travel issues. And FWIW, most coilovers are primarily designed to drop a car (short shock body, short spring, etc.) and as a result are not very good at raising one.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, the problem mainly for the front only, the rear are fine.

the rear does use separate adjustment and i have lots of shocks and spring travel. the front in the mean time doesn't. or I didn't see how . the instruction is NOT specific for focus, it's one of those generic cover all model. I didn't want to use the coilover to raise height, but the D2 drop is insane, they go to the airbag territory low. I do want my car a little more functional than just low.

so atm the coil over in the front is adjusted about all the way up. the helper/tender spring is basically a solid piece of metal. I had to keep compressing it to get the coilover to a driveable height. there is another member that had similar problem with D2 here, but with no conclusion on the thread. I had the same problem and the only solution I saw at the time being is just to keep raising the spring perches.

D2 is similar to Ksport, so perhaps other members that had experience with Ksport could chime in, please? I've PM tantalus and buschman but no answer so far. those are the two members I know that has D2.

I had the exact problem with this thread : http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217370&highlight=coilover&page=3

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
By fully compressing the springs you have significantly reduced available suspension travel. The spring coils are now very close and will bind up (actually touch each other) under compression loads. It's pretty close to having essentially no suspension at all and may actually be worse than with it set lower where at least you'd have some travel. Like I said, using a spring compression type coilover works well for lowering a car but is lousy for raising it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts