Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know they say its better than the coil packs, has anyone made the switch?

any improvements? milage? power?

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Who are "they"?

I have COP on my car. Can't say that it was any vast or even noticeable improvement.
Only reason I did the swap was because I got a deal on the kit and my stock coil was on it's last leg.
There is zero performance to gain in the swap. The gains are all aesthetic.

·
GT40 all the things!
9,482 Posts
I didn't notice anything when I swapped. I know Jim swapped his back to stock.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was going to mention this is the svt side of the forum, but you got to it first.
I know most modern cars go to that, and hell the LS1 has a coil for each plug, its not quite on the plug but close enough.

last night I was on some duratec site and they said "The Duratec engine utilizes a Coil-on-Plug system for igniting the fuel mixture. This is a far more effeciant system than the coil pack used on the Zetec engine, eliminating spark plug wires in the process"

that was in their list of improvements over the zetec. So I figured Id ask if it really is much of an improvement, if at all.

·
GT40 all the things!
9,482 Posts
Whether you are talking SVT, Zetec, or Duratec, its still a waste spark system.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
497 Posts
I was going to mention this is the svt side of the forum, but you got to it first.
I know most modern cars go to that, and hell the LS1 has a coil for each plug, its not quite on the plug but close enough.

last night I was on some duratec site and they said "The Duratec engine utilizes a Coil-on-Plug system for igniting the fuel mixture. This is a far more effeciant system than the coil pack used on the Zetec engine, eliminating spark plug wires in the process"

that was in their list of improvements over the zetec. So I figured Id ask if it really is much of an improvement, if at all.
Its more efficient because the coil only works half the amount of time...with a coil pack or "waste spark" system the coil is energized once every revolution of the crank. With a COP, because each cylinder has his own coil, the coil is only required to energize once every-other revolution. There are other benefits to a COP system in regard to failure modes and peak firing voltage but it shouldn't be a consideration unless you are doing some pretty heavy modifications.

·
GT40 all the things!
9,482 Posts
But if you are converting from one coil, to 4 it doesn't matter, its still waste spark. There's no way around that.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didnt realize it was wasted spark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts