Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay so this isn't a major problem cause I rarely spray water/clean under my hood but when I do, water leaks down around the boots into where the spark plus are. Are my boots to blame? Should I use some sort of sealer around them and what ever the sensor is?

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
Plug boots aren't designed to be completely water proof as that area never normally sees weather. I wouldn't use a selaer of any type.

Spraying your engine compartment is a bit dicey and, if you do it, I'd be sure to bag the TPS and MAF, for example, and block off any breathers/filters. Be prepared to spend some time drying things out thoroughly afterwards. Personally, I'd simply use a damp rag or rag soaked in cleaner.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
What I've always done, and recommend is this: spray the engine while its running. The reason you do that is because if you do break something loose with the water, or water is affecting a part- you should will know immediately what area you were spraying in when the issue occurred. It's not good to blast water directly on parts anyway. Of course you want to do that to clean the block, but not things like the valve cover or intake manifold.

A little wheel bearing grease under the part of the boot that makes the seal should waterproof you more, and won't damage anything. You should be able to do the same thing wiping a bit around the edge of the boot. It won't burn up. Bearings get a lot hotter than the top of the valve cover.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tip. The oil in that vc trench hasnt returned so I doubt ill need to focus on that area when cleaning.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts