Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back with an older issue that started happening again. 2002 SE Zetec Wagon, US spec. After driving for awhile the car will sometimes struggle to run, the cluster gauges and warning lights freak out. Some kind of relay under the driver kick panel clicks rapidly. If the headlights get switched on the car stalls. Turn the key off, then back on, start the engine, all normal. I get codes B1317 AND B1318 set in the ABS module. I've checked the battery and alternator, both pass. Seems like an intermittent open in the charging system somewhere, have no idea where to start.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
B1318 low battery voltage. Have your system checked under load.
Yes, under load or not the aliternator is testing good, steady 14.5 volts. When it is actively happening, I was unable to get a connection at the terminals, the battery tester kept saying check connections. Shut the car off, restarted it, all the sudden I could run the test and pass.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Probably not the problem, but I like to start at the basics, I would clean and check all connections including the various grounds. Tug/wiggle gently on wires, check connectors and if suspect pull apart and check for corrosion. Anybody modified the factory wiring for any reason(usually aftermarket head unit. HD lights etc.)?

·
Registered
16,191 Posts
Twist the battery terminals by hand to make sure they are tight. Focus terminals are crap and well known for being very tight yet you can still wiggle the terminals, crap terminal design, they need to be replaced.

Once the terminals have been cleaned as little as one time they lose enough metal to possibly not grip tight again and makes no difference how tight you tighten that stupid little bolt.

Cut terminals off and graft on standard old school type and THAT problem gone forever. Of course, there will still the be other normal 4276 other things that Focus cars fail on a ritual basis to deal with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had same issue for once on my 1.8 TDDI. When changing from gear 2 to gear 3 engine just cut off. I turned off lights and jump started from the same speed and engine died as soon as I turned on headlights. After 30s coughing it started up again and drove 50km. After 8 hours it did not start anymore. Now my starting up looks like this: https://youtu.be/bOOBcsxvL6U

1 - 9 of 9 Posts