Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought one at Harbor Freight recently when they were on sale ($77 I think).

I've had to use it one time other than just testing, and it was able to pull up the pending codes. It has a text display that reads out the meanings of the codes, and it records Freeze Frame data (what was happening when a code was set). It also has a USB connector for your computer....for more info.

This is the first code reader I bought for home use.....seems to work nice, and is more useful than the cheaper versions from Harbor Freight. I wonder what others are using.....and what to look for when buying a code reader.

·
Registered
459 Posts
That looks like a real nice unit, especially for the price. I don't have a dedicated code reader, but my Scangauge II does read codes. The Freeze Frame data would really be nice to have...I don't think mine does that.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I got a scan gauge II. only beef i have with it when it pulls codes P0000...

·
Registered
156 Posts
I bought an OBD2 code reader from Ebay. It is called PROFESSIONAL CAN Bus OBD2 OBD II Code Scanner /Reader!. I was hunting a good bid for a while and got it for a good price.

It works perfectly for me. It is a fairly simple unit, but I didn't need more at the time. It can read codes and monitor some values, it is an independent unit that comes with batteries.

Now I am looking for a bluetooth unit to connect to the laptop and be able to do telemetry with the car and extract performance charts and data, with some obd2 program.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Great question, I'll be watchin this thread. I'm going to need to pick one up in the near future.

·
has a screw loose
9,927 Posts
I just bought the Ford X3 Power Flash tuner from Tom, it's easy to use once you figure out how it works . Since they didn't send any paper instructions with it . But a disk with all the different manuals on it .

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^^^That's one thing to look for....internal batteries in the unit. That way you can scan the codes, then take the thing inside to hook up to your computer, and read up in more detail about your problem......maybe print out the results, or send them off to someone.

I could have bought the reader in the OP with a serial connector. In fact many code readers that have a computer connection, only have a serial cable. A USB cable version is a much better deal.....so that's what I bought.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Actron, Predator, Xcal 3.... thats all I have, I think.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Best OBD Code Reader for Focus ?

So what's the best (Focus SVT specific?) OBD Code Reader available these days for under $200?

I've heard Equus Innova 3010 is good. Also heard good of Actron CP9180.

Consumer Reports recommends AutoXRay Code Scout 1500.

·
Registered
675 Posts

Got one of these for about $70 a few months back. I'm always knocking loose some vacuum line when doing something on my car. Only realize I did it when the CEL comes on.

I would have bought one from Harbor Freight, but the local store only seems to carry the high dollar ones.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts