Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2007 Duratec 2.0L, 5 speed is throwing code P0171. I put a new PCV hose on thinking that was the problem but their was nothing wrong with the old hose. I cleaned the MAF sensor.

Light is still on.

I don't hear any obvious vacuum leaks. I sprayed starting fluid around and used propane to check for leaks. Nothing I can see. Car starts and idles fine.

What else to check?

P.S. I was able to change the PCV hose fairly easy without removing the intake manifold. Simply remove the two 13mm bolts holding the starter. Slide it over to access the bottom of the hose. Use 11" pliers to undo the clamp and a long bar to pry it off. (see picture of "special" tools) Top of the hose clamp can be accessed between number 3 and 4 intake ports. The hardest part was prying the hose off and on the intake port. Make a small cut to get the hose off. Use motor oil as a lubricant to pry the new hose on. Pretty easy job. Took me about 1.5 hours. I can't believe everyone removes the intake. Unfortunately in my case there was nothing wrong with the hose.

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
How does your o2 sensor 1 read? And what's your fuel pressure at idle?

Cal

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How does your o2 sensor 1 read? And what's your fuel pressure at idle?

Cal

Sent from my moto g(6) using FF Mobile
I'm not sure how to check o2 sensor.

I'll have to put the car on a different scanner to check the fuel pressure? I don't think that is in the freeze frame data on my reader?

Or can I see fuel pressure in the diagnostic mode on the dash?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Fuel pressure would need to be read with a manual gauge.

Your bank 1 o2 sensor 1 should rapidly switch between .1-.9ish volts

What's MAF read at idle?

Cal

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fuel pressure would need to be read with a manual gauge.

Your bank 1 o2 sensor 1 should rapidly switch between .1-.9ish volts

What's MAF read at idle?

Cal

Sent from my moto g(6) using FF Mobile
How do I check those? I don't know too much about this stuff. I know how to plug my scanner in and read the code. That's about it, lol. I have the freeze frame data but I don't understand it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
1. You're gonna need a fuel pressure gauge kit to read fuel pressure

2. You're gonna need a scan tool that can read live data.

If you don't have one, or a friend with access to one, our suggestions are as good as throwing a dart at a list of related parts. Could be low fuel pressure which would be fuel pump, or fuel filter, or fuel pressure regulator. Could be restricted injectors. Could be a bad MAF sensor. Could be a bad 02 sensor. Could be a vacuum leak you're not hearing.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
The fuel pressure, according to the freeze frame data was approx 39psi.....though needs to be checked using an actual fuel pressure tester.

Unless the code was set seconds into cold starting the vehicle, the upstream O2 sensor (O2S B1 S1 in the pic) should be above 0.050V..... Judging by the 69C ECT reading, I suspect that wasn't the case.

How many miles are on this Focus??

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The fuel pressure, according to the freeze frame data was approx 39psi.....though needs to be checked using an actual fuel pressure tester.

Unless the code was set seconds into cold starting the vehicle, the upstream O2 sensor (O2S B1 S1 in the pic) should be above 0.050V..... Judging by the 69C ECT reading, I suspect that wasn't the case.

How many miles are on this Focus??
Hi, thanks for your reply.

the car is a 2007 with about 135,000 miles on it.

I believe the engine light came on after I had been driving it for a while. I can't say for sure though. I've reset it a couple times.

So you suspect a faulty oxygen sensor? How would I know which one? I see 3 of them right off the back of the engine.

I can't find any obvious vacuum leaks. PCV hose is fine. Fuel filter has been changed. I need a new muffler but I don't think that would cause it. The car starts, idles and drives smooth.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looking at the freeze frame data it says......

O2S B1 S1 = 0.05
O2S B1 S2 = 0.85
O2S B2 S1 = 0.88

So that bank 1 sensor 1 is way off compared to the other two. Could that mean a bad sensor?

·
Registered
80 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Anything jump out? When I checked the o2 sensors. #2 and 3 were steady. Number 1 was jumping all over.
In general the upstream O2 sensor (S1) should cycle between 0.1 and 0.9 VDC and if your cat is working correctly the downstream O2 sensors should have a fairly constant output voltage of about 0.4 - 0.6 VDC.

Your LT FT of 21.1 is pretty high (lean).

Your RFP of 312.8 kPa (45.37 psi) seems high to me - I believe the spec is 39-41 psi. Perhaps that is the system trying to respond to the lean condition.

A common reason for a lean code without any apparent unmetered air leak (vacuum leak) is a dirty MAF sensor. Have you tried to clean the MAF sensor?

Paul

·
Registered
4 Posts
Need some info on no lights on dashboard 2003 mk1 SVT. Replaced light bulbs and no luck at all.

Any help will be appreciated

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In general the upstream O2 sensor (S1) should cycle between 0.1 and 0.9 VDC and if your cat is working correctly the downstream O2 sensors should have a fairly constant output voltage of about 0.4 - 0.6 VDC.

Your LT FT of 21.1 is pretty high (lean).

Your RFP of 312.8 kPa (45.37 psi) seems high to me - I believe the spec is 39-41 psi. Perhaps that is the system trying to respond to the lean condition.

A common reason for a lean code without any apparent unmetered air leak (vacuum leak) is a dirty MAF sensor. Have you tried to clean the MAF sensor?

Paul
Yeah I've cleaned the MAF sensor. I'll try again. I've used propane all over the engine trying to find a vacuum leak. I can't find one. I don't hear any hissing or sucking either. I put a vacuum gauge on a line and it shows ok.

I wonder if the O2 sensor can sometimes work and not work?

What would be the next step? Test the fuel pressure with a manual gauge? Why can't you trust the fuel pressure readings from the scanner? (or can you?)

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
when I check the O2 sensors live with the scanner, sensor 1 bounces between 0.1V-0.8V. #2 is constant 0.7V and #3 is constant 0.8V

·
Registered
980 Posts
when I check the O2 sensors live with the scanner, sensor 1 bounces between 0.1V-0.8V. #2 is constant 0.7V and #3 is constant 0.8V
As I answered before:

A pre-cat O2 sensor should cycle (about once per 1-2 seconds) between 0.1 and 0.9 VDC.

A post cat O2 sensor should be steady between 0,.4 and 0.6 VDC. Ylou woudl indicate a rich mixture which may be for the same reason your RFP is high - its compensating (perhaps over compensating) for a lean condition.

Try resetting the PCM and see what that does. If the same try disconnecting the MAF (open loop) and see what happens to the RFP, ST/LT FTs, and post cat O2 voltages.

Paul

1 - 20 of 39 Posts