Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving the other day and noticed the car stuttering and losing power and the CE light came on and started blinking. A few weeks prior the car was idling rough, shaking the steering wheel and it sounded like a tractor. No CE light came on though.

OBD tells me it's a #4 misfire. I changed the plugs and wires and still stutters and shakes. At idle it feels like I'm in an earthquake. When I get up to 3rd and 4th gear the CE light starts to blink. I've never seen that happen on any car before.

I've heard it could be an o2 sensor, valve, fuel injector, or coil pack (which I don't think this car really has a coil pack since they are all plugged into one unit). If it's something I can do by myself I'd love to save the cash from a garage. Should I just guess and change the injectors or take it to a garage and let them do a diagnostic on it for whatever it costs. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
83 Posts
you should try replacing the coil 1st. does the car have any other codes? it can also be a vacum leak. check if your pcv hose is not cracked or broken.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I got the new wires, before I put them on I switched around 1 and 4 just to see what would happen and it gave me a code for #1 and 4 misfire so I put on the new wires and it went back to only 1 code. From what people are telling me the way this "coil pack" works, if one is messed up the whole thing should be broke, but this is outside of anything I've ever messed with so I don't know. Is coil pack even the right word for the thing all the wires plug into?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sure enough it was the coil. I've half way put it through a drive cycle and it is 100% better and no code came back.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts