Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

CryO2 Cryogenic Air Intake 3" O.D.

Item No. - 70431
The CryO T Air Intake consists of an aerodynamically design bulb with a cryogenic chamber which is mounted in a 4" segment of air tube. As the air passes over the bulb heat is removed from the air charge resulting in a colder, denser more powerful charge. Dyno testing showed a reduction in intake air temperature of more than 35%. The CryO T Air Intake can be used on tubocharged, supercharged or naturally aspirated applications. Multiple units produce colder results. Installs in minutes and comes with silicone connection sleeve, hose clamps and connection/vent hose.

Regular Price: $119.99

------------------

CryO2 Intercooler Sprayer 16" x 5"

Item No. - 70438
The CryO Intercooler Sprayer mounts directly to the front of the intercooler or aftercooler and vents the liquid Co directly onto the cooling fins thus enhancing the performance of the intercooler by more than 50%. This component must always be the last in the CryO system as it vents the liquid Co charge.

Regular Price: $79.99

·
Registered
711 Posts
humm liquid co...... I think if it mounts too close to intake that could cause problems (ie metal gets too cold too fast then heats up again= cracks) looks like its kinda like nos (shots) or is it run all the time, man if it ran full time you'd had one messed up intake really fast

·
Registered
711 Posts
ok misread that...so it freezes the "bulb" that sits int he center of the tube....thats interesting would be nice to see some numbers of stock vs this on a car with CAI and see what the gains are with the liquid co on and off. Like putting an icecube in your intake without the water, kinda fun

·
Registered
380 Posts
CO2 is cheep, very cheep, its non explosive and theres so much of it, and there shouldnt be a problem w/ it cracking the intercooler, i know some drag cars use it to cool down there extreamly high boost intakes.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
I've looked at these set-ups. The one for your innercooler is a great idea, and the one to cool the fuel ( at the rail) will have a small efeect to the side of good, BUT that bulb in the airstream will cool down the intake charge ( good), but how much restriction does that bulb cause in airflow??? ahhaa, the weakness in the system to me.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have seen paople with STi's at the track with ice on the intercoolers..
i would put this on the intercooler to ake it cold...would work better than the ice...

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
To cool an innercooler it would work great !! and co2 is cheap!!

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
So, someone going to buy the CryO2 Cryogenic Air Intake 3" O.D and let us know if it's worth getting ?

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Not me, too much of an impedience to airflow, putting that big football in there, there innercooler stuff is a neat idea though!

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
The company is fairly well known so I can't imagine that they would make something that caused such a restriction.

Wish they dyno'd it on a car though.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
i had a similar idea, but with a doubled up intake tube made of say aluminum. One bigger 4" tube over a smaller 3" inner tube. full length tho. put cold air, co2, or even nitrous in a fitting on one end, and out the other end, chilling the whole 24" short runner tube. It couldnt heat up too fast, because it's got a buffer of air between itself and the engine compartment, like double pane windows. I think it'd work, cold air=good. You could have a bottle of co2 in the car with a valve on it, no electrical, no wiring or anything. just crack open the bottle in the staging lanes, cool it down then run.

Nitrous has been sprayed on intercoolers for years to cool the charge. We saw a turbo'd ls1 on the dyno run 595 whp without, then with a healthy freezing of the fmic before the next run, and a good shot during the run across the fins, he put down 682, just from the supercooled air. Boost heats air, so even with an intercooler it still gets heated before it goes in, so the diff between heated air and frozen air is far greater than chilled air and that coming thru a cai. So it wouldn't make such huge gains, but I can imagine it would make some

g

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
you're forgetting the best part though...if a cop pulls you over and asks what's in the bottle, there's no laws regarding CO2 systems - it's completely legal!

it is a good alternative to a nitrous spray over an intercooler, doesn't cool quite as well, but does a damn good job. I would stay away from the intake restricting football though

·
Registered
275 Posts
The intercooler cooling system is just like what NOS makes, they use the same HALO system. I have a buddy who hooked up his nitrous purge to one of those rings that he made (its not difficualt at all...soft copper pipe with a fitting and pinholes) so when he purges it doesnt jsut blow into the air and be wasteful, it serves a purpose a bit. But some ppl liek that. W/e. lol. It is a good system though. THe intake one is another story. I came across this product when I had the idea for it, then I found it ont he itnernet. It acually does next to nothing for your hp. Ive seen the dynos on it. Its also prices, because I believe thats just the bulb, not the tank and wiring harness and solenoids to control it. I am currently designing a system that works off the smae principal, but will yield a much colder inlet temperature with little or nor restirctions. It is in a tremendous beta testing stage now. Lol. But maybe itll be done someday. But thats my knowledge on the subject. If u had the balls (or ovaries for you females) you could inject straight oxygen into the intake at a very very controlled rate. This would cool the inlet temperature quite a bit. But pure oxygen is lethal and explosive. So I wouldnt try. It also makes stuff burn a bit hotter...qutie a bit. But hey, who knows. Hook it up to a junker and see what happens...just stand back :-D

Mike

GO ARMY!

·
Registered
551 Posts
can you spray it thru a transmission cooler like this one? I already have it put in my intake box and run ice water thru it but if I could spray something like CO2 thru it that would be nice for 15 seconds at a time to cool the air before it gets sucked into my future supercharger.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
fins dissipate heat better than they distribute cold. So spraying across a cooler like that would cool what's in it, much better than spraying into it would cool whats outside it... does that make any sense? i think i confused myself. :p

g

·
Registered
790 Posts
Ive always considered using a Peltier Cooling device connected to a 12V cooling device. Expelling the heat from one side and making a heatsink with many tines inside your air intake tube. Have two setups like that (one half way up and the other before MAF would cool the air a ton! I will try one day.. One day.

·
Registered
727 Posts
The best thing to do for that tranny cooler, is to get it to some fresh air, where it is at now is not doing any good! Think of it as blocking your radiator, it will work a little bit but not enough!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts