Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed recently a fluid leaking onto the clutch and I discovered its the infamous CMC failure! After searching around I wasnt able to find an exact answer so I ask now. I've heard that its best to replace the clutch slave cylinder when you replace the clutch master cylinder because when one goes bad the other is sure to follow. However, it looks as though the clutch master is made of plastic and the slave is made of steel. I've read the master is defective because the brake fluid eats away the plastic causing the problem. Therefore, the slave would be fine to leave since it cant be corroded. What do you guys think? Should I replace both or just the master?

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I've read about any number of master cylinder failures on these boards here, but I don't ever recall reading about a slave cylinder going bad.

First rule of good maintenance: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the master cylinder replaced this afternoon along with the sway bar links. However, a problem with the brake light switch came up. The plunger for the switch now doesn't seem to have enough length to reach the pedal. I've resorted to using cabinet door bumpers to make up the space difference temporarily. It didn't do this before so is there a piece missing or is something not aligned properly?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1 - 5 of 5 Posts