Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the story. On my way to work I stop at a red light, it turns green, I push the clutch pedal in and CRACK!!! I let off the pedal immediately and check for damage. The only thing on my mind was "(insert 4 letter word here), i broke the clutch pedal." At first glance, nothing seems amiss so I since I was only one block away from my job, I drove it gently to the parking lot.
When I got out of work, I looked at the pedals and saw nothing broken. I turn on the car and notice that the clutch pedal seems much shorter than before. I take it for a gentle test drive and gear changes are perfectly normal, the clutch doesn't seem to be slipping and no funny smells are coming from the engine compartment (I though maybe the clutch would only be partly engaged since the pedal didn't go up as far as it used to). Actually, since the pedal travel is shorter, I am able to shift faster now [???:)]

My question is, what happened???? Will this cause premature wear on the clutch??

The best way that I can describe it is that before the pedal would only move in one direction DOWN. Now I can pick it up ever so slightly. Can anyone else do this?????

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check the pin that the master cylinder push rod is attached to_On mine this pin was only spot welded an broke lose and caused the push rod to break. It cost me over 300.00 to fix.

·
Late for Dinner
15,332 Posts
^^^^ see above. a welding shop can fix it cheap. make sure they have fire blankets, then they can weld it with no disassembly.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have to take a closer with a flashlight tonight, but at least from the driver's seat, it doesn't look too bad. Actually the pedal now lines up with the brake pedal perfectly.

*Warning, crappy camera phone pic*

Like I said, now there is a little play in he clutch pedal where before it was stiff. Can anyone "lift" their clutch pedal, even slightly????

·
Registered
459 Posts
I'll try to lift mine and let you know later.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bump for answer. Can anyone lift their clutch pedal??? Kind of like you can lift the throttle pedal, just not as much.

Thanks

·
Registered
113 Posts
My 2000 has a little slop in it. I can lift it up a small amount, like maybe .25". Have you looked under the dash and made sure it was the pedal return spring? I know that at one point there were some badly tempered ones floating around. I think I went through 2 or 3 before I got one that lasted.

·
Registered
66 Posts
its the pin that is conected to the master cylinder. look were the clutch pedal is and you will see a broken pin or twisted about to brake. I know because main broke when i was driving and i nearly killed myslef. to fix it i got a screw and nut and put it were the pin was. car works like new.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Also a possibility, if you have cruise control, is the switch that kicks it out of cruise when you push in the clutch. Wouldn't be nice to have that mill keep revving unexpectedly!

·
Registered
78 Posts
This EXACT same thing happened to me. Same circumstances...everything.

It is the clutch return spring that snapped. Dealer fixed mine for like $50.

The pedal still feels normal because (so I am told) the pressure in the clutch cylinder is sufficient to push the pedal back to (almost) the normal position.

No worries...mine was fixed within a day. I recently got a copy of the service history of my car and this happened to the previous owner, also.

Situations like this are when FF comes in handy!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you guys for all the help, I'll take a look at all those things and report back when I find something. Hopefully it's an easy fix.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cbo_and21 said:
This EXACT same thing happened to me. Same circumstances...everything.

It is the clutch return spring that snapped. Dealer fixed mine for like $50.

The pedal still feels normal because (so I am told) the pressure in the clutch cylinder is sufficient to push the pedal back to (almost) the normal position.

No worries...mine was fixed within a day. I recently got a copy of the service history of my car and this happened to the previous owner, also.

Situations like this are when FF comes in handy!
You hit it right on the head. At first I couldn't see anything wrong because the spring was still connected on the side closest to the seat, but then I touched it and it was loose. Now I just have to get a replacement spring. Thanks

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anyone know the best way to remove the part of the dash underneath the steering wheel?? The spring is $9, and I don't want to pay a dealer 1/2-1 hour labor if I can do it myself.

Thanks,

·
I used to drive this
3,342 Posts
Artood2s, I recently had the same exact problem as you. My clutch spring looks exactly like your picture. My question is were did you purchase the spring and how did you replace it? I can see were the spring hooks on top but not the bottom. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I bought it from a dealer for like 9 bucks. Clutch return spring for SVT Focus.

Remove the dashboard panel under the steering wheel attached by 4 screws. There is no need to remove the hood latch lever.

The bottom hook point is a pain to find. Basically what I did is, hang the spring from the top (hook facing right), then see where there would be space for it to hook on. Then with the hook facing down, I felt around the back of the black housing until I found the hook point. The last step was to use a long screwdriver to pull the spring onto the attachment point on the clutch pedal. It is much easier if you pivot the screwdriver from the opposite side of the screw shown in the picture and raise the hook into position (screwdriver tip under the hook and metal shaft on top of the screw).

I hope this helps,

·
I used to drive this
3,342 Posts
Dude, thank you, when I searched (other forums too) I was afraid I had to take the clutch master cylinder off. Thanks for the picture too. Looks like I have a weekend project this weekend.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No problem. Shouldn't take you more than a couple of minutes.

My weekend project is finding a way to protect my car from hurricane Chris, which seems might be coming my way =)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Congrats on the quick find and fix. Great sight. When my spring broke 3 years ago, I left it off. 22k miles, no problems.

·
I'm Back!
2,304 Posts
I bought it from a dealer for like 9 bucks. Clutch return spring for SVT Focus.

Remove the dashboard panel under the steering wheel attached by 4 screws. There is no need to remove the hood latch lever.

The bottom hook point is a pain to find. Basically what I did is, hang the spring from the top (hook facing right), then see where there would be space for it to hook on. Then with the hook facing down, I felt around the back of the black housing until I found the hook point. The last step was to use a long screwdriver to pull the spring onto the attachment point on the clutch pedal. It is much easier if you pivot the screwdriver from the opposite side of the screw shown in the picture and raise the hook into position (screwdriver tip under the hook and metal shaft on top of the screw).

I hope this helps,
^^Mine just broke today at a light...what the F!?k? So I found the spring, and just ordered a new onw from the dealership-$12.00. Can anyone help me with visualizing the lower hook point????

1 - 20 of 33 Posts