Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning my drive train assault on my project car. I've been buying parts I know I want and doing my best to get a good deal. Suspension is bought so now I'm shopping for a clutch. I'm shopping around but not sure what I can get away with. I'm looking to be boosted with 225hp+/-

What do you know...

Think you know...

Had experience with.... Good or Bad

I want to know it all!

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
CenterForce Dual Friction is good to 240 and is very streetable.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn... That thing is $500....

Any other option or opinions?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guess not? ....

Did I post this in the wrong section?

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Maybe a little, once you add boost to the equation the most opinions are in the forced Induction section - though it takes a while there as well you can look for prev. comments.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I had one of the centerforce ones and it was awesome. Now trying out a budget exedy in one zx3, and have a cm3 in the boosted one. I thibk the centerforce would hold 225 no sweat.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
The more margin you have (i.e. the more power the clutch can handle) the longer it will likely last. You say 225hp, is that at the wheels? there is about 10-15% loss in drivetrain efficiencies before you get to the wheels. so 225 at the wheels will be about 250 at the crank. you will at least want something with 20% headroom so you want something that can handle 300 WHP IMHO. A quality clutch is going to cost you around $400 or more. A high quality clutch with OEM power handling is going to cost you around $200...

Clutch Master, Exedy, or Spec stage 2's would be a good place to look. note that HP is not something the clutch cares about, you can have 1000 HP but if you have 150 ft-lbs of TQ the stock clutch would still work. You need to know what Torque figures you are going to see. the Focus ST that has about the same HP as you are talking about had around 275 to 350 foot pounds of Torque. If that's the case you are going to need a stage 3 or 4... Look at dyno graphs of other Zetec's with similar turbo setups and see what kind of TQ #'s they are running.

Edit: It looks like most Zetec motors when Turbo have the TQ about equal with the HP or just a little under. this means a Stage 2 may be enough but would have 0 wiggle room. I would still go for something that can handle 250+ Ft-lb's of Torque.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm looking at a Spec stage 3 6puck right now. I see a lot of positive feedback on it.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
6 puck should still be street able. the 3+ would have better clamping with more of a traditional feel but is a good $100+ more.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Don't buy a puck clutch for 1 it won't last as long for 2 your not making enough power to need it I've ran spec and clutch masters as far as spec grab a stage 2 or 2+ the 2+ is full fave and actually holds more hp/trq then the stage 3 puck clutch and will last long and clutchmasters id run a fx300 or fx350

1 - 11 of 11 Posts