Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, got a question for ya.

I recently bought my '03 SVTf with 11K on it. I love the car. LOVE it.

But about 2 months ago, I started hearing the dreaded "marbles in a can" coming from my clutch. Thanks to FocusFanatics, I learned about the clutch TSB, and decided to try and get a dealer to do it.
Fast forward to last week Wenesday. I take my car to Airport Marina Ford in LA, (I've heard a few people got the TSB done there), and left it. Sure enough, get a call, and they're going to go ahead and do it. I'm thrilled.
I get the car back this last Monday, and it drives awesome. Love the hair-trigger clutch, and finally feeling like I have the right clutch for the car.
Well, about 15 minutes into the drive, I notice a sound. A BAD sound. It sounds like something is vibrating, or is loose, or is misaligned...I dunno. Between first and second gear, (second to third to a lesser extent, 3-4-5-6, nothing), it almost sounds like there's broken glass in the clutch. But only when I disengage to shift. That's the best I can describe it. But, it doesn't seem to be hindering the clutch at all, which is engaging fine, and acting normally.
I call back the dealer, and bring the car BACK to them yesterday morning, (it's a helluva drive for me, so I was NOT happy). Drop it off again.
This afternoon, I get the call. Apparently, there are two plates just behind my K&N, (firewall side), that where vibrating against one another during harder than normal acceleration and shifting. They placed a rubber grommet between them as a quick fix, and according to them, that sound was gone.
Well, I finally think to myself, "FINALLY. I can put this behind me." I get the car, and sure enough, it sounds a lot better. But, as I'm drving home, I notice it again. Definitely not as loud as before, but still there.
I get home, and look all through the engine bay for ANYTHING loose. Cat heat shields, header heat shield, etc, etc, etc... I find nothing loose and nothing out of place.
Plus, the clutch sounds much louder than my original...It sounds...rougher? But like I said, it runs perfectly fine.

Any thoughts on how to relieve this headache?

CJ

·
Registered
481 Posts
i know this might sound retarded but go get it dynoed. tell the guy dynoing it to look for anything out of the ordinary in the engine bay, of course that's the more expensive (and fun) route. you could also rev it in your driveway to see if there's anything you can see.
i coulnd't help on the clutch tsb noise after because i don't have it done to my car. hope this helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, both. I will go have it dynoed in the next week or two. And I did talk to Ford Performance, and they said that it might be the tranny to blame. I'm going to take it to another dealer this week and hopefully get a new Getrag.

Thanks again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.