Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just bought my svtf a bout a month ago and i actually bought it the day the previous owner picked it up from the shop from having the clutch replaced. Everything seems to be fine under normal driving conditions but under heavy acceleration the clutch slips sometimes. Is this normal? Is there some sort of adjustment that can be made to eliminate this issue?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
take it easy for a few hundred miles and then see if it improves.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I just got off the phone with the shop that did the clutch install. Apparently the did new clutch and pressure plate and throwout bearing, so this is hopefully something they are going to stand behind. I am going to drop it off Friday morning. I'll let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Well I just got off the phone with the shop that did the clutch install. Apparently the did new clutch and pressure plate and throwout bearing, so this is hopefully something they are going to stand behind. I am going to drop it off Friday morning. I'll let you know what I find out.
They certainly should unless they have evidence that you've been out trying to break the sound barrier.

I'm willing to bet a C tech did the job and got his greasy fingers all over the disk. I've seen it happen before but they usually just chatter like mad...not slip...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I took it into the ford dealership and had the shop foreman go for a drive with me. He said since it only rarely slips not to worry about it and just take it easy on the clutch.

I guess I will wait to see what the shop has to say and go from there.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Didn't know it had a blower...yeah, that makes more sense now.

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
What sc do you have? How much HP/tq?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I am going to drop ot off tonight. We will see ehat tjey say. I doubt they will do anything for me, but its worth a shot.

·
Registered
497 Posts
McLeod makes the best aftermarket clutches IMO although I don't know if they make an SVT application. Most aftermarket clutch assemblies will utilize a single piece flywheel and require a "conversion" to a single piece unit.

I know spec makes a kit for our cars but I don't trust spec units much. Of all the folks I've seen that have broken a clutch or had one come apart and nearly cut their legs off - they ran spec units.

I've also seen the spec pressure plates cause crank endplay issues. Their release tension is pretty intense compared to similar designs of other brands and thus it puts significant stress on the crank when disengaged.

I'm sure there are folks on here running specs without either of these issues, but a blind pig finds an ear of corn from time to time. These are my experiences, however.

G/L

·
WRX/Focus:)
4,940 Posts
Well remember when they put the trans back in they use bearing grease on the input shaft of the trans, so slipping can be caused by the grease being thrown out onto the plates.

The Haynes manual says that slipping within the first 3000 miles is nothing to worry about, probably a little bearing grease got in there.

And FSWERKS makes conversion kits for the focus, I know they make em for the D23,D20, and the normal Zetec, but you would have to check if they got one for the SVT, but it wouldn't surprise me if they do. I did the conversion kit on my 03 D23, went on good, and this weekend I will fire her up hopefully. (still need trans oil and coolant).

But if he just put the stock DMF back in with stock parts, that would explain all the slipping too. Especially with a SC.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts