Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I have a 2002 svt focus with a CM stage one clutch and a lightweight flywheel. I have been searching but can't find anyone that has had this exact problem. When my car is cold, the clutch slips for a good 15-20 minutes, then doesn't slip at all once it is warmed up. I have read of some complaining of a slipping clutch in cold weather, but I live in Texas, and its the middle of the summer. Can someone help me out here? Thanks.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought the car with the clutch already installed. According to the previous owner, it was installed last August.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know how hard the previous owner drove it. Maybe he didn't break in the new clutch properly. But what I dont understand is, if the clutch was on its way out, wouldn't it slip all the time? Is there something I need to adjust, or check the level of the tranny fluid? Anyone have any idea? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Clutches usually slip when they are overheated.

I wonder if this is a slave cyl line that's pinched/kinked and it won't let the PP engage quick enough until the fluid warms up and flows/releases easier?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked the master cylinder and it isn't leaking. Where is the slave cylinder line located? Also, if thats not the case, would bleeding the system be worth a shot?

·
Registered
975 Posts
if the owner didnt' change out the slave cylinder when he did the clutch install i believe that would cause the clutch to slip i know someone on here that said his stage 3 from CM was slipping and he went for a stage 4 .. the clutch would only grab when his car was warmed up for 20-30min.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The previous owner had the clutch installed at a transmission shop, so its possible that they didn't install a new slave cylinder. Do you think I could get away with buying a new slave cylinder, or would I have to buy a new clutch too?

·
Registered
607 Posts
really depends on the wear on it already and the only way to truly tell is be opening up your trans. I'd suggest replacing the cylinder and if its still bad go for the full tilt boogey

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Won't I have to open the tranny anyways, to replace the slave cylinder? So I guess I would be able to tell if the clutch is bad then. I was just trying to avoid having to open up the trans, but I guess I have no choice.

·
Registered
975 Posts
yeah u really don't have a choice either way u gotta check out the clutch to see what kinda shape its in it blows but make sure to get the right clutch and all the things u need to have it operate good luck bro

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
..I had a CM stage I for about 700 mi,new install. Wouldn't hit a dog in the *&^ with one. After much whining and help from Tom,Cm warranted it ,but I went to a Stg 3 then. So far ok,few K miles.
Your right,pulling the trans is the expensive part.Putting in a clutch is 10min. You might need a new flywheel disk as well as slave cyl. But you can't tell from the outside,so you HAVE to open it up to diagnose,not guess.

·
Registered
511 Posts
^^^^^ I think the reason it only lasted 700 miles was because of your "custom pressurized intake by Tom." =)

Or was the clutch in your 03???

1 - 14 of 14 Posts