Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to you all.
I've done a bit of a search but have struggled to find an answer to my problem so hope somebody can help.

Drove the wifes Focus today, its a 2001(Y) 1.8 Zetec, manual transmission with 88,000 on the clock. Now i have to say that i have felt for a little while that the car doesn't really perform as well as it did when we first bought it but never showed any real problems.

Anyway back to the problem. We approached a hill with a car in front of us, the car indicated to turn right and although the driver had plenty of time to swing into the junction it came to a near stop slowing us right down. Now on the hill and thinking i could remain in fourth gear (i drive a diesel) i put my foot down, instead of increasing speed the clutch slipped badly down into third and much the same. Once sorted the usual clutch smell appeared and the car seemed happy. We carried on our journey and all seemed ok.

I have now taken the car for a spin and i got a mixture of slip and no slip doing the same thing several times. Now i'm guessing the clutch is on its way out but thought i'd ask if there is any other things that may cause this. I'm also wondering wether the lack of go may have been the clutch not fully gripping for a while? oh yes having looked under the bonnet i've noticed that the brake fluid is down slightly but i haven't been able to find a physical leak and the car has very recently passed it MOT with no probles on the brakes.

I have also been told that the car may require more than just the clutch replacing, something to do with flywheel is this true? I hope not ££££.
Sorry for the long post but i know the more info i can give can help people answer.

Many Thanks
Richard

·
Registered
28 Posts
Seems real low mileage for a clutch to wear out to the point it slips. Now that is Miles, right? Not Kilometers, which would be even lower miles. It almost sounds like someone has been driving with their foot resting on the clutch pedal.
When you replace a clutch plate, you need to replace everything in that system so to speak. Clutch disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, and the flywheel should be either replaced, or resurfaced at a machine shop.
Make sure if you're not doing this task yourself that you shop around for a decent deal from someone you feel trustworthy;don't let some wanker with a wrench rob you on this job.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
2 things to check first. Make sure that there are no leaks. Up under the dash board. The clutch pedal has the master cylinder on it. It will usually drip on your feet. And under the bell housing, it will drip on the road underneath the car. It also shares the fluid with the brakes. Make sure the brake reservoir is up to the full line. And finally try to rebleed the slave cylinder. There is a bleeder on top of the. Bellhousing. How does the pedal feel. If its soft. It can't hurt.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi
Thanks for your replies. I'll have a good look today for the leaks you mention. I can't guarantee somebody hasn't been resting their foot on the pedal but my wife has only put 4,000 - 5,000 miles since ownership so possibly the previous owner may have.
Reservoir is low so will defintely top that up. Is bleeding a simple job of just loosening the bleeder screw and pumping the clutch pedal?
Pedal feels reasonable however i have always thought the biting point seems vague if that makes sense.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is defiantly a clutch issue, these don't like high gear hill starts and what you describe has taken the clutch plate I'm afraid. That said, i have changed a clutch on the drive on jacks, it is possible, and if you do it now you can save the cost of a pressure plate.

I can talk you through it if you like.. Good Luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is defiantly a clutch issue, these don't like high gear hill starts and what you describe has taken the clutch plate I'm afraid. That said, i have changed a clutch on the drive on jacks, it is possible, and if you do it now you can save the cost of a pressure plate.

I can talk you through it if you like.. Good Luck
Hi
Thanks for the offer but i think this is way to big for me. Things are starting to fall into place. The MOT advised that the brake fluid was down and having now given the car a good leak check i can see fluid has seeped between the gearbox and engine. I've been told this is a sign of the slave cylinder leaking and have been told that the fluid has probably now contamitated the clutch.
Definately looking at new clutch and have been quoted £375 fitted. This is garage fitted and as of yet have not been able to find a recomended mechanic that can do it much cheaper.

·
Registered
75 Posts
People that rest their foot on clutch should be told not to, but if they continue there should be a death penalty.[:)]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts