Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so this happens only when the engine is warming up, which I understand.

When I put the petal down further than maybe 1/4 of the way, my RPM's start shooting up, almost like I'm in neutral. And just recently, the clutch will not totally catch even though my foot is all the way out. Could this be the clutch slipping? If so, how much is a new one with labor... approx. price, It's a 2002 SVT Focus, OEM clutch.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Seriously, nobody knows the answer to this?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Try putting it somewhere else, maybe. I feel the same thing, My first focus eventually never caught it at all, i took it to my uncles and he said it was the transmission. It did the same thing after he said it was fixed so... I have no clue what the problem could be.

·
Registered
743 Posts
it's slipping. had the same thing happen to me when it started slipping.

·
Registered
743 Posts
i paid $400 for the install.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
swapping out the clutch is around an 7-8 hr. job and a new clutch is around 200 bucks. I would say get a really good stg. 2 or 3 clutch, that way it will last for forever and if you decide to go FI, then you don't have to upgrade!! heck throw in an LSD too!! lol

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well what's my cheapest option for the best quality, and how much.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
do u plan on modding ur car? if not, then just get an aftermarket stage I or II clutch. It will last you the rest of the life of the car if you baby it!! If you want to go FI, go w/ a stage II or IV. I, personally, like SPEC clutches, but others have said they are bad. This is the second one I've owned and it is awesome!! you can get an aftermarket clutch for maybe 250? don't really know, but its worth it!! I paid 465 for mine and i don't regret it at all!!

·
Banned
263 Posts
put car in second gear at a stop pull the e-brake up as far as you can. SLOWLY let the clutch out giving it no gas should stall before 3/4 of the way out if not its slipping

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's def slipping, it takes like 8 seconds or so for the clutch to fully catch when the engine is cold, also when I push the petal way down, it's basically like I'm revving the engine.

As to mlbbaseball's response... Can the shop get the clutch for 265ish? What do they typically charge for labor?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Im having clutch issues as well. Let me know how it goes. Your not far from me but around here they are sayin 300-400 for labor. Im gonna wait for a decent weekend and work on mine with a friend.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Called Aamco and a local place. Aamco said 800-900, local place said 1100. Both including parts/labor.

I'm so screwed.

·
Registered
743 Posts
athomas I went to a place in oxon hill md, dont know how far you are from there, they did mine for $450 4 years ago

1 - 14 of 14 Posts