Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my clutch is really light and seems a bit floppy at the top. I replaced the fluid lines, master cylinder, slave cylinder, and bleed the system. I like my clutches to be heavier and the pedal to feel springy. I was wondering if I can get a return spring from somewhere that will fit. Do I have to get a "clutch return spring"? Or can I just find one that fits?

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
I imagine you could use any spring providing it's the correct length and the uncoiled straight bits with hooks at each end are sufficiently long to hook onto the two attachment points without coil binding. Most hardware stores sell some sort of replacement springs in packages although tthey tend to be "light duty" springs suitable for things like throttle returns. How about somethig like a motorbike kickstand spring?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm that might work. Like you said, I don't want anything light duty. The stronger the better lol

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
The one on my Focus just broke! You can get it from the dealer for like $50 ... that's a lot of money.

I went to Autozone and found a Dorman carburetor spring / throttle spring kit. One of them appears to be an exact match. The only issue is there are no ends and it's really long - you would have to take a set of pliers and make the ends.

I couldn't figure out where it anchored on the pedal assy. part (found the end on the pedal fine). I ended up using the other springs and putting one end around the pedal and anchoring the other end to the steering column supports.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Seems to be back to normal. I think I might have a bit more "spring" than it had originally - but I like having a clutch that's a bit harder to press.

But it comes all the way back up on its own now!

·
Registered
29 Posts
The one on my Focus just broke! You can get it from the dealer for like $50 ... that's a lot of money.

I went to Autozone and found a Dorman carburetor spring / throttle spring kit. One of them appears to be an exact match. The only issue is there are no ends and it's really long - you would have to take a set of pliers and make the ends.

I couldn't figure out where it anchored on the pedal assy. part (found the end on the pedal fine). I ended up using the other springs and putting one end around the pedal and anchoring the other end to the steering column supports.

Had the same thing happen to my buddy's 03' focus about three months ago. Did just as Miller said. Went to advanced auto parts and found a short carburetor spring. Bent the ends around a few times to make a secure hook. My buddy actually drilled a small hole through the pedal assembly instead of wrapping the spring all the way around. The other end hooked on the steering column support and WHALAH! Super strong and springy clutch pedal. Best of luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts