Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had an accident about 8 month ago where i ran over a rock. it made a hole in my oil pan which i jb welded and crushed my ac manifold. i just got the fixed today for 800 dollars....[mad] they said my clutch should be replaced soon...i knew it was coming. i drive a spi ...any ideas on if its hard to replace the clutch or not? and how long it would take

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
Do you know how/ have the tools and required jacks/lifts to remove a transmission?

I have replaced a clutch in one day, drop the tranny, replace clutch, reinstall tranny.

Thats all there is to it.

But then I have access to a lift and all the tools I could need.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what exactly are the right tools...my brother has done it before but before i ask i just want to make sure its not a pain to do i it takes time but taking time and not being hard is ok

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
If your brother has dropped a tranny then he more than likly has whats needed. Its no special tools that I am aware of just the standard sockets, wrenches, the regular stuff. The hard part is just getting it off and back on the engine, the clutch replacement is a breese.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the help. he did it on a 1977 datsun b210 which i bought off him for 75 dollars..lol. no joke. ill let you know how it goes but one more question. what is a good clutch to get for the spi and would i need just the disk or the kit? they told me that the clutch feels stiff

·
Registered
891 Posts
i got the stage 1 Spec clutch from mcnews, still waitting to get the money in to get it installed. You can get it cheeper from them than from the Spec site.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah the place i went to wants 700 for parts and labor...my loving girlfriend just offered me 800 that i took with guilt that was for the ac..probably take most of summer to pay her back. thats why i want to put it in myself to void out paying for labor

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cool got all the info i needed..thanks for not ripping my head off over this. ive been on here over a year but made a new account so i could actually post stuff...

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have a question. Is the clutch in the SPI IB5 the same as in the Zetec Mtx transaxle? My clutch can put hardly any power to the wheels at launch. Is this part of the spi trans, or is my clutch slipping? I didnt start driving the car until it had around 35000 to 40000 miles on it so i didnt know what it was like when it was new. I know the spi isnt made to "launch" or race, but is this a likely symptom of a failing clutch? I let my friend drive it and he said that it was "weird."

1 - 10 of 10 Posts